How much fast will 7200rpm feel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregrose, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Hey guys, tomorrow im upgrade my HD from a 54, to a 7200rpm drive. I was just wondering how much faster that is going to feel compared to 54.
    13inch mbp 8 gigs of ram now. 2010 model

2. simsaladimbamba

Depends on your usage and you surely don't boot every day, unless you have to use Windows.
    When I upgraded from a 5400 RPM HDD to a 7200 RPM HDD the speed gain was noticeable but not that much. Applications take one or two seconds less to start or documents are saving a bit faster.
    The SSD I eventually bought was much more faster, C4D starts in three seconds, PS in five, AE in ten and MC in fifteen.

3. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

A little faster than a 5400 RPM HDD, but not nearly as fast as an SSD

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

As others have said, you will notice a slight increase in speed but not that much. An SSD will make a difference of day and night although the difference in price per GB is also very significant.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

as others have said.......

i would get a nice ssd...have you tryed the macbook airs?...your pro would feel like a new computer

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Check out the Momentus XT too. It's a 7.2K RPM HDD with a 4GB SSD hybrid. I have one in my MacBook Pro and it's amazing.

7. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Any speeding up you notice is probably placebo. 7200rpm drives' speed comes into play when doing things like streaming audio samples and recording/playing back many tracks at once for music production though.

9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

or playing MMOs like WoW. THERE you will see a huge difference, and imagine with an SSD. the thing is, there are so many information coming to your PC that don't have to do only with the GPU, but the hard drive speed. So if you're in a crowded place in WoW with a 5400rpm drive, it can be slow even for the best machines (cpu and gpu-wise), while with an ssd drive it will be like instant load.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am in the crowd above of: "If you want 'fast fast', go SSD"

Indeed certain HDDs (ex: WD Caviar Black) will have substantially faster speeds on paper, but in real world usage, it is not as dramatic when observed by most users. SSDs have a huge change both on paper and in user opinions.

11. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I actually joined this forum to find some information on this topic. I am debating between getting a decent sized 7200rpm or getting a smaller sized SSD and using my external for storage. I know the SSD will be faster, but is there any downfall to a SSD? Like will the battery life stay about the same or would it be bad to boot a lot from a SSD? I don't turn my MBP off everyday, but I do boot it up regularly.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

To me, the downside to SSD, aside from price obviously, is the added need ( for some people) to now carry around an external drive whereas with a large capacity sata drive, you don't have to. Your laptop suddenly becomes less portable friendly when you have dongle drives hanging off of it. And hope you don't forget to pack a much needed external if you are going mobile.

I personally like to keep my portable computer as portable as possible. If it becomes too cumbersome, I might as well get more bang for my buck with an iMac and leave it on my desk.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Battery life is often better, although at an insignificant level, with SSDs. IIRC the Intel is the most power efficient and many people report having a small but pleasantly surprising gain. SSDs downsides are size and costs. All my commonly used data is around 50-70GB, so for me, my 120GB SSD will work as my sole primary drive both now and in the future. After you get to the 250GB range, then SSDs become wickedly expensive. Even the 256 is pretty steep. If I had a SSD and also needed an external for all of my commonly used data, I probably wouldn't have bought one due to the hassle and as said, mobility is critical in the notebook world.

14. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

The price is definitely wickedly high once you start getting over the 200GB size. I've already got an external for storage that I keep all of data on for school. It's one of the small goflex ones from Seagate that I've got formatted for Mac. I would only need around 125GB or so. I just don't know if it would be worth the speed for a SSD when I can get a larger 7200 SATA for a heck of a lot cheaper price to size ratio. If I'm already carrying a portable I may be better off getting the SSD considering I don't keep the portable plugged in at all times. I only put it in if I need something off of it for school or if I am saving something to it. I do all work on my laptop, then I plug the hard drive in to save to it.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not that much day-to-day but when you are transferring large ass files you will.

16. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

Well, all my files for school are usually written in word so they're not that large. I'm probably going to just get a 7200 with about 320GB or look more into that hybrid one. That way it'll still be a decent size but still be pretty cheap. Thanks for the help.

17. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 13" MBP. Im thinking of getting a 128 SSD and a 500 (or maybe a 1TB) HDD for the superdrive bay. (Suggestions for which brand/model for the 128 and the 500 would be much appreciated)

I would like to keep all of my music, photos, and movies on the HDD. But apps and everything else i will put on the SSD. (Other than music, movies and photos, i have about 40-50 GBs of data on my drive currently)
    So would that setup be good? I want the space of the 500GB, and the speed of the SSD.

Now, can I get an enclosure for my superdrive when i take it out? And for my current HDD so that i can use it for time machine, I know it can be done, but what all do i need?

Thanks for your help!

18. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

If you are looking for considerable improvement, go SSD.