How Much Faster Do You Predict The New Mini Will Be?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by krause734, Oct 23, 2018.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

2014 Mac Mini Mid Tier + SSD
    4th Gen 2.6 Ghz dual core i5
    8GB Memory 1600 Mhz DDR3
    250 GB SSD
    Geekbench: 3402

2018 Mac Mini Entry Level?
    8th Gen 2.8 Ghz 6 core i5?
    8GB Memory 2400 Mhz DDR4?
    250 GB SSD NVME?

Processor, RAM, Graphics, and SSD will be significantly faster. How much of a real life difference will be noticeable? Significant. I am looking forward to it.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

3. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Base model will likely be a little faster than the present base model.

Fully loaded top of the range will likely be a lot faster than the the present top pf the range.

In real life for my humble needs, there will be little significant difference. My own skills will continue to be the main limiting factor.

4. Mannaerts macrumors member

I am wondering as a Macbook Pro 2016 13" base model user, is it worth adding a Mac Mini to my setup or just buy a docking station to hook my Macbook Pro to a external display?

5. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

If it will be on par with or at least similar to Macbook (Pros), than we can be happy.

6. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I have been a Mac Mini user since buying the original in 2005. Currently using an early 2009 Mac Mini, supplemented by the current MacBook Air that I bought a few months ago.

The Mac Mini was a fit for me because I wanted something I could easily transport occasionally, but didn't want a portable...... Still don't want one, but times have changed. I now need to take a computer to work most days. The Air is used mainly for work, and occasionally when travelling.

I far prefer use a desktop with a separate keyboard and decent sized monitor and other peripherals of my own choice. These days the 2009 Mac Mini does have some shortcomings as tech has moved on, but while it soldiers on (in use or sleep mode 24/7 for over 9 years, still on the original HDD) I'll continue using it. When it does pack it in I'll replace it with the latest Mac Mini.

That's what works for me anyway.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

~30% faster CPU. 50% faster GPU. 100% faster SSD. 200% faster price (Faster, as in the speed that money leaves your wallet upon buying).

8. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

9. alphaswift macrumors regular

I'm kind of hoping for a 9th gen CPU, m.2 slots, up to 32 GB of RAM and support for an external GPU via TB3. All of this in something like the 2012 case so I can do upgrades. This would get me to drop my PC upgrade planned at the end of the year. EDIT: In other words, a LOT faster than the last mini.

10. zeropoint88 macrumors newbie

Given Ive’s design philosophy a better question than ‘how fast’ is ‘how small’ will the new Mac mini be?

I can just imagine now the scene of Tim coming on stage and announcing that he has a Mac that fits in the palm of his hand and saying it took courage to axe almost all the IO to make it. MacBook series cpu and two ports, one for power.

I really hope I am wrong. I am scared I am right.

11. locovaca macrumors regular

All depends on what you use your Mac for. Just web browsing and the like it won’t be noticeable unless you were running both side by side. The biggest gain, imho, is going to be support for hidpi displays and the upgraded gpu to handle that.

12. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

For the high-end model it would be nice to see a hex-core processor as found in the 15" MacBook Pro, the true 2018 equivalent of the quad-core 2012. But even if the next Mac mini only gets the quad-core processors + integrated graphics as found in the current 13" MacBook Pro, it will be the fastest Mac mini ever made by far.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2018 ---
    The biggest performance gain will happen if Apple makes SSD or Fusion drive standard on all models, something I've been expecting to happen for years now. Going from a 5400 RPM HDD as found in the 2014 Mac mini to one of Apple's fast PCIe SSDs makes a big difference, even for simple tasks like web browsing.

13. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

I really hope for the same flash storage found in MacBook Pro.

Those things are slowly approaching RAM performance in r/w speeds, that is crazy!

14. twennywonn macrumors regular

I just want the base model to have a faster CPU than my i7 2012 mac mini. How likely is that?

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'd assume they'd be using the 28w CPUs from Intel, so quad core / 8 thread? Similar to 13" MBP.

Maybe the rumored bigger Pro-Mini would have the 45w i7 / i9 like 15" MBP.

16. tedson macrumors regular

Base model, not likely. Middle and top tiers, very likely.

17. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

Mini historically keeps pace with the Macbook Pro 13"

18. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

I thinking of the same for my MacBook Pro. What’s a good docking station to OLED 4K tv?

19. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

That's not true, the 2009, 2011, and 2012 all had processors present in the 15inch MBPro. It is only the 2014 where things went wrong.

20. now i see it macrumors 68040

Since the mini is at the bottom of the food chain for Apple, I'm guessing the next one will have just ONE I/O port. It ain't gunna be pretty.

21. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I personally think they will release it with the desktop cpus that were just released, so 8 core i9 in the top end version and maybe an i3 in the low end. If they were just going to release with the same cpus as the MacBook Pros, they could of released the new mini a few months ago. The top end version will probably be very expensive though, probably almost $2000 (so a few hundred less than the equivalent spec iMac).

22. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It will be interesting to see the benchmarks for ARM V Intel Minis. The latest A12 Bionic chip is pretty Steve Austin.

Note that this is the CPU only tests. The 2018 Mini will still have a spinner in the base model.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2018 ---
    This was the one and only post-Steve Mini.