How much faster do you think it will upload?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The Doctor11, Apr 27, 2014.

1. The Doctor11, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok so I started a YouTube channel last week (tech with Matthew is the channel).
    But I'm recording my videos in 1080p. And If my Internet is "good" or what it should be witch it's not always it's 2.80 mb download and .7 upload. And my videos that are only a few minutes long are taking forever to upload. I had one at around 5 minutes take 2 and a half hours. I'm uploading a app review right now that's 29 minutes long and it's estimated to be done a little after 3:30PM tomorrow. And I started uploading it at 6:00pm. That's 21 and a half hours. I can't get better Internet this is all we can get here. And my family's getting all mad at me because everytime I try to upload something the Internet speed drops to .1 download and .01 upload. And my dad gets real mad cuz he goes to his computer that I'm using to edit and upload videos with and he can't send emails real well and the computer works like crap. So I was wondering how much faster they would upload if I drop it down to 720p.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ummm, just convert, look at the size, and do the math.

3. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I can't I need to change the setting on the camera itself before I start recording

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You can't convert the 1080p recording down to 720p with some software?

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Adapter is great for converting. Easy to use and supports a truckload of formats. Fast as well.

6. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Certainly not with windows movie maker... I'm just wondering how big the difference will be. And it took me 20 minutes to save the video today. Converting things does not sound like fun.

----------

I could try that but I don't really need to convert if i knew it would be a lot faster in 720p I would just record it like that from the start.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Sorry, I didn't realize you were on a Windows PC. Adapter is Mac only (AFAIK).
    Well, Blu-rays are 1080p and take up ~25gb for a whole movie. DVD's are 480p and a while a DVD (+features) is on a 4.7/9.4gb disc. So 720 would be a whole lot quicker. It shouldn't take too long to convert though. It really depends on what container you are converting to. MP4 is pretty standard and is usually fast. If I remember right, AVI files take longer.

Also if you save the file in a different format than straight off the camera it has to convert the file anyway (same if you change framerate/size/etc), so I bet your 20 minute save time is WMM converting the file.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

My guess is that it would take ~66% of the time it takes the 1080p to upload.

9. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wow ok. I'll try 720p next time and see how that goes.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sorry I meant ~44%.

11. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Still that's pretty good

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It's better.