how much faster is firewire?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stealthsniper96, Oct 20, 2007.

1. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

ok well i ordered a 320gb mybook with usb and firewire off ebay, but when i got it, it was a 500 gb one but with just usb. so i messaged the guy and asked him what went wrong. but im really starting to like the idea of the 500gb, so im wondering, is having only usb gona be slow? how much faster is firewire than usb? and this drive will be used for backups and possibly running files and apps off of.

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Firewire 400 = 50 MB/s
    Firewire 800 = 100 MB/s
    USB 2.0 = 60 MB/s

Those are the bust-rate maximums, if I recall correctly.

Therefore, unless you have a FW800 port, and a FW800 drive, you're not going to see a difference.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

USB has a higher theoretical mass burst rate than FW400, but firewire is MUCH (so much!) better for sustained data rates. If you are transfering large amounts of data (over 100MB) I would ALWAYS use FW given the option. FW800 is badass if you have the ports.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Firewire is awesome. Considering the size of the drive, you'll have a lot of files on it, and you'll want faster transfer rates. In all reality, firewire is much faster than USB, despite theoretical transfer rates, firewire can keep it up much longer. Unless you plan on filling up a drive with >100 MB files, firewire is for you (even in this case, it'd still be good though).

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Firewire. The Little Blue Pill of data transfer.

6. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

HAHAHAH. thx for all the replies guys.

7. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

When I first read that I thought... Morphine? Then I realized you must be talking about that little blue pill.

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I have NEVER seen USB2.0 go above about 10MB/s. Firewire is way, way faster.

9. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've had more experience and luck with USB than I have with Firewire. I've had drives not show up, but when I plug in a USB cable instead of Firewire, it works fine.

Throughput wise, I've been pretty happy with USB. But my new Firewire drive arrives on Tuesday, and maybe it will work much better than I've had in the past.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This was on a Windows running PC, correct?

For us Mac users, stick with Firewire if at all possible.