How much faster is i5/i7 than C2D??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icedicarus, Feb 11, 2010.

1. icedicarus macrumors newbie

I hope that apple will upgrade the uMBP line soon so i can get some new technology. My question is this....how much faster are the new laptops compared to my 1.33Ghz G4? and is it worth waiting for the i5/i7's to come out due to the increase in performance?

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Than your 1.33 ghz G4? Much much faster. Than C2D, not generally much faster, but for certain more intensive apps it makes a big difference.

3. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

G4? Anything on the market today is much, much faster than your G4. It'd be like going from a Model T Ford to a modern vehicle. The difference between the current Core 2 Duo machines and Arrandale is less pronounced, however.

4. Rhino420 macrumors member

i had this same question!! thank god some one asked it... so lets say running light room photo shop and aperture is there a big difference between c2d and the i5/i7 ? if im not gonna see some crazy changes then im just gonna buy me a c2d can anyone give me a heads up?

5. PacMookBro macrumors regular

In general, less than 100% speed increase in CPU is insignificant to most people in terms of productivity. However I've never regretted purchasing the first gen MacBook Pro, which was quickly found to be a significant upgrade from the predecessor.

6. icedicarus thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i know its going to be much much faster!! thats a given!!!!! but how about real world performance? my 1.33Ghz G4 does everything that i want it to do except run all of the new applications only because the new programs are written for the intel mac's only! I know that the C2D is really really fast but how much of a difference will there be between the C2D and i7? does anyone have any examples of real world performance differences (excel formula computations, music format conversions, virus scan times (lol like you need it on a mac), photoshop/aperature renderings, etc....)??

7. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Here is a good start on reading about the differences between C2D & i5:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3705&p=3

Summary: 7 to 40% faster CPU, depending on what you're doing. You have to read in detail and see how the differences will apply to how *you* work to get a fully relevant answer.

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

When you hit the CPU for video encodes and similar tasks, the new architecture really flies.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

not to mention, they'll probably put in a new gpu too since the current one is kinda dated

11. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

I do know for sure that in the desktop world a Core 2 Quad Q9550 gets stomped by a Core i7 920. The same can probably be said in the laptop CPU world.

12. hackum macrumors regular

Nevermind the CPU, the new Macbook line might include a lot of other improvements as well (video card, memory, display reslolution, optical media etc)

13. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It's worth to wait

It's not WAY WAY Faster, but it is 20% faster on average, so if you wait for the new ones you will have a faster computer, you might notice the difference, you will have faster Graphics, which you will really notice, and probably more ram and bigger hard-drives, so you will probably save 300$ in upgrades if you compare the current specs with the ones will come, so if you think that you will get A faster processor which saves battery, a way faster GPU, more ram and more HD? It's a no-brainer, and all that for waiting 4 days till the 16th of Feb, or max the 23rd, we'll see but I'd wait a month since i still have a computer and having a computer which will be the "latest one" for some time and also a faster one for the same price