How much faster will Snow Leopard be compared to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akutad, Aug 16, 2009.

1. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

As you may already know I hear a big "who ha" about snow leopard. How would I interpret the improvements coming. Would my computer be twice as fast? Or unnoticeable, like my mac would act like a 2.6mhz vs the 2.5 I experience now?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I think you may see minimal improvements, but nobody is going to be able to say for certain. I highly doubt your system will be at either of the extremes stated.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Stacks is faster since it doesnt animate every icon in the stack independently, so the animation wont stutter on machines using low end graphics like the 9400m. Other than that you wont notice any difference.

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Damn, my calculator's faster than that!

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeh, pocket calculators average 6mhz, 10+ for programmable type.

At any rate, I've noticed HUGE relief in lag time doing simple things, opening stacks, entering Expose´, opening the dashboard and launching applications.

When I startup, 4 applications open, Colloquy, iChat, Mail and Skype. It usually takes about 10 bounces for the last application to complete, with Snow Leopard they usually finish closer to the same time as one-another AND in less bounces.

Looking at the Activity Monitor the CPU usage tends to be even in both cores AND tends to stay low and level.

One thing I am going to kill Apple for is not allowing us to monitor GPU usage now since it's using OpenCL >8\ Dammit!

NOTE! Apple has tried to tell us the shut down time is now supa dupa quick, and seeing the screen go black 8 seconds after pressing the Shut Down button is nothing to scoff at, but NOTICE that the USB ports don't actually cut off for quite some time! From the time you press Shut Down to the time the USB ports give is about EQUAL to Leopard, I haz a feeling Snow Leopard is still doing some packing away even after the screen goes blank, nice try Apple.