How much faster would a Sandy Bridge 13" be?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Feb 18, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am wondering how much faster the upcoming 13" mbp Sandy Bridge computers would be over the core 2 duo machines? Also, any chance we will see light peak or usb 3?

2. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Quite a bit.

Passmark for a Core2 Duo 2.4ghz (current base mbp 13") is around 1600

We don't know what the base models will be, but the numbers look something like this:

i3: range from 2100-4000
    i5: range from 3000-6000 depending on which you get

If you assume sandybridge (and you probably should), you will be on the higher end of those numbers.

In short, my guess is that we're looking at around 3x the performance.

You have to remember - these c2 duos are OLD. My 5 year old PC laptop is running one of those processors!

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

I agree, we don't know what we'll get but we should expect the performance to be at least twice the current level. Apple loves simple slogans like "320m has twice the performance of the 9400m" so I expect something similar for the cpu bump this time around.

The lack of usb3 on the recently released macbook air was very disappointing. I really hope the new 13in macbook pros get better screen resolution and have usb3. A cpu replacement is expected so they should have something else important up their sleeve.

4. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any updates to this thought with today's news?

5. beenatam, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

beenatam macrumors newbie

That would actually be a good build. My PC is Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0, GeForce GTS 250, and 3GB of mem. I can run all games ive played on max settings and great frame rate. You should have no problem running any game with what you wanna buy.