How much FCP can a Macbook Air handle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Andrew Ryan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Andrew Ryan macrumors newbie

If you buy the Macbook Airs as is from the store, (lower tier RAM, SSHD, etc) can they run FCP, or do you need to customize it a bit.

A rep from the store told me I had to customize the Air to the point where I would be better off with a rPRO if I wanted to use Final Cut, even as a hobby!

:mad:

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Here is a link that might interest you:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/new...iences-with-a-macbook-air-and-final-cut-pro-x

From my expirience there is no significant rendering difference between rmbp and mba base models.

Normal editing without any major effects and not too long video is absolutely no problem.

Hint: take some video footage to the store and try it out yourself. Dont rely on apple reps only.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I run an old version of FCP (6.x) and it works great on my 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA. Also worked very well on my 2011 i5/4gb/256gb. The only real difference between the two is that the 2013 renders faster.

Now my point of reference is my old 2008 15" MBP 2.4ghz Core2 Duo with 4gb RAM. The 2011 MBA totally blew that machine out of the water. :D

I used to do a lot of video but don't do as much these days. But I shoot full HD on Sony XDCAM EX and have been very pleased with my little 11" MBA for this. I already have to carry a heavy camera with mattebox and professional tripod, so saving weight on the computer is a big plus. :)

The 512gb SSD is smoking fast - over 700MB/s - so that is a nice upgrade if you can afford it (the 128gb SSD is less than half that speed). 8gb and i7 are also nice, but like I said, my 2011 i5/4gb machine actually worked fine.

Now if you run a newer version of FCP, I don't know how that affects things. I gather it has been optimized to use additional processors, so you would probably see better performance with a quad MBP.