Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
OK, I obviously know the obvious answer to this question.

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/14/flash-memory-and-apple/
http://www.informationweek.com/show...LNEW00QSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=197003359

The first story says that SanDisk just came out with a 32GB flash drive for $350. The second story says that flash prices should come down 65% this year. That means that that 32GB should be $123 in March of next year.

Just makes you think if flash prices will have dropped enough during the six months that the iPhone is "pending" it's release that Apple would be able to bump the specs before its release.

Personally, I won't be able to justify replacing my iPod (which is what an iPhone would ideally do) with just 8GB. I have 9GB of music and tons of movies. I would definitely get one in June if the high end was bumped to 12GB.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Flash memory prices are dropping. That much is sure.

Whether we see more memory in the iPhone release in June is another question for sure.

My guess is that iPhone version one will be released as is. Version 2 will have more memory.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I think that it is a possibility for the iPhone to have an 8 and 16GB configuration at first...so not to eat a chunk out of the upcoming vPod's share...

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
The more I look at it - the questionable release of iChat with the phone, not enough space for your music, etc. etc. makes me wonder if the iPhone will be worth it v1.

I know I want one, but do I want to dish out that much money for a lacky product?

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
The more I look at it - the questionable release of iChat with the phone, not enough space for your music, etc. etc. makes me wonder if the iPhone will be worth it v1.

I know I want one, but do I want to dish out that much money for a lacky product?

2 months until its out we wont know until its out.

deasine

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2007
A 16GB option would rock!!!! But for some reason, I think Apple will continue to stick with the 4GB and 8GB. But of course I completely support a 16GB one. There isn't any SD or memory card slot to the iPhone right? Too bad... I want some sort of memory slot. Phones without memory slots aren't that convenient. Harder to transfer files via Bluetooth or Infrared port. This an extreme example, but it's like saying cameras without memory slots.

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
I will absolutly wait untill ther is an 30Gb+ version, it sux not to be able to use Itunes for what it was created for (Sync you entire music library with your Ipod).

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
16gb at release would rock!

Jumping ahead of where they are now would take away one of Apple's famed marketing ploys. That is, updating a product hard on the release of the previous version.

I'm sure Apple will have 16 gig or bigger iPhones out for Christmas, and a 32 gig version early in '08. Don't expect anything bigger than the announced 4 & 8 gig units in June.

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Jumping ahead of where they are now would take away one of Apple's famed marketing ploys. That is, updating a product hard on the release of the previous version.

I'm sure Apple will have 16 gig or bigger iPhones out for Christmas, and a 32 gig version early in '08. Don't expect anything bigger than the announced 4 & 8 gig units in June.

32 gig would be amazing.

I just could imagine the next nano's with 32 gb lol. I just cant imagine what the next iPod's will have lol 200 gb LMAO

SSD/NAND way of the future good buy disk based hard drives :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
A 16GB option would rock!!!! But for some reason, I think Apple will continue to stick with the 4GB and 8GB. But of course I completely support a 16GB one. There isn't any SD or memory card slot to the iPhone right? Too bad... I want some sort of memory slot. Phones without memory slots aren't that convenient. Harder to transfer files via Bluetooth or Infrared port. This an extreme example, but it's like saying cameras without memory slots.

...It connects via USB. Do you mean between phones? :confused:

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
One thing Bluetooth on the way out seeing they figured out how to get USB speeds wirelessly (WUSB) :)

I cant wait to see this ... no more wires for anything :)

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
The first story says that SanDisk just came out with a 32GB flash drive for $350. The second story says that flash prices should come down 65% this year. That means that that 32GB should be $123 in March of next year.

Does this mean that memory cards for the PSP will get cheaper.

wickedsteve

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
Considering that Apple is still making money selling 1GB iPod Shuffles and I can't remember an Apple product that had a spec bump between announcement and shipping, it is probably safe to say that the iPhone will arrive as announced with 4 & 8 gigs.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Considering that Apple is still making money selling 1GB iPod Shuffles and I can't remember an Apple product that had a spec bump between announcement and shipping, it is probably safe to say that the iPhone will arrive as announced with 4 & 8 gigs.
MBP were speed-bumped right before shipping last year.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm going to buy the iPhone no matter what (unless Apple was stupid and forgot to include something like a vibrate mode), but I would definitely be happier with my purchase if a 16gb model were offered at launch.

And for those of you not paying attention, the 32gb solid state drive that Sandisk announced is quite a bit larger than the memory modules that are found in the nano or will be found in the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.