Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
So I had a 2010 Macbook Pro and I didn't notice any flex at all whatsoever, however, I bought a 2011 Macbook Pro a couple months back and I'm starting to notice some.

It's around the top cover, basically if you press down against the lid it flexes some. I understand the screen is directly beneath the lid and I don't know if it should be 100% rigid or not.

If it matters, I opened my Macbook Pro (back when I first got it) to install RAM and an HDD.

Does anyone else notice some flex around their lid?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Aluminum will flex some if you apply pressure. The back of the screen is especially noticeable if you press somewhere close to the center, as there is nothing to support it.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Aluminum will flex some if you apply pressure. The back of the screen is especially noticeable if you press somewhere close to the center, as there is nothing to support it.

Yes this is what I'm talking about.

It's in the center of the lid, right on top of the Apple logo. You're saying this is normal then?

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
as stated before, if you apply a lot of pressure, you'll notice some. But hardly any, and not enough to affect the screen. I wouldn't worry about it.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I don't get it, why the heck would anyone want to be torquing on their notebook lid with that much pressure and potentially break something?

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I don't get it, why the heck would anyone want to be torquing on their notebook lid with that much pressure and potentially break something?

I wasn't looking for it, I grabbed it and noticed that the lid flexed inwards a little, that's all.

aboutlawrence

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Europe
flex of macbook pro

Hi,

Just came across this thread re. flex in structure of macbook pro. Recently I purchased a macbook pro retina and am wondering whether one might carry this around in an appropriate bag with a dedicated compartment for it, but with books in other parts of the bag. Although the computer would be well protected from scratches etc., the books might exert some pressure on its structure. Can this be the cause of potential damage (assuming albs weight of books)?

Regards,

Lawrence

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.