How much for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sam10alex8, Mar 6, 2009.

1. sam10alex8 macrumors newbie

Would like to know how much I should spend on a good used PowerMac G5. I don't have the money for a MacPro and also have no need to run Windows for anything. See these units on ebay all over the board price wise. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The price you'll pay for the G5 varies with specs (and shipping distance and time the auction ends). To get the cheapest deal, look for the highest specs ending mid-day on a weekday. Also, take a look at completed auctions to give you an idea of what others are willing to pay.

3. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

This is just my personal opinion, but... I wouldn't buy a PPC under any condition at this point (unless it was like, $25).

I don't know how much longer we can expect most publishers to continue supporting the PPC architecture.

Though they'd obviously be more expensive, I think it would be much, much better to get a first gen Mac Pro.

That said, are you sure you couldn't make do with an iMac or a mini?

4. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I just picked up a Dual processor 1.8ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb SATA drive, powermac g5. I got an amazing deal through kijiji and it only cost me $400 CAD! That was at least $200 cheaper than any other ones I could find. And the $600 ones that I saw were not even dual! I say look around kijiji and craigslist. I live in canada, and in my area(toronto), a good deal is considered $500(single core). Most of the dual cores I found were $600-$700. Or you could wait until you find a REALLY good deal. I just happened to get lucky and find someone that was willing to sell theres cheap.