How much for iPhone 1G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tymmz, May 20, 2013.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Hi!

Since the iPhone 1G is becoming obsolete I took the change and had my old iPhone exchanged for a new one (the display was faulty).

Not that I want to sell it now, but I'm wondering if an iPhone 1G in mint condition is worth anything.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To a collector, yes. I bet you could easily find someone willing to pay a bill or two for it. Put it up for sale and see.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Since its open, probably not any crazy numbers. I'd say right around $100. That's how much I was getting them for (not mint but really good condition) last year.

5. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

i will probably keep it anyway...and "take it out" to parties to be all hipster & vintage. :)

6. scott99 macrumors 6502a

The first iphone really was a great looking phone. I really love that design.

7. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

me too. it feels really solid and also has some value (to me at least).

For me it started off the whole smart phone craze.

8. itjw macrumors 65816

I have an old 16GB 1st gen that I paid $100 for a few months ago. It was mint, and was for my 2 year old son who ALWAYS wanted to play with mine (and I run a naked 5 haha...).

Three months later and a FischerPrice case for it, and it's still working fine and still in great shape (even with a 2 year old tossing it around daily!). He loves his "pishures", and "VohTon" (I put the Voltron Movie on it haha). It's absolutely incredible how adept he is with it.

But back to the point. Out of the box, in NM-MT shape, 16GB = $100

Crazy for a 6 year old electronic.

:apple:

9. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I personally would like to get one. Just to have. I really dig the old iphone and the nostalgia surrounding it. I bought mine back in 2007 after the price drop, and thought it was the most amazing gadget ever. Don't forget folks, this was before the app store, before 3G (only had Edge), before the camera took movies too, before GPS, before MMS (lol). BUT, it was an amazing internet experience compared to other so called smartphones of the time, it was an amazing email experience, an amazing multimedia experience (movies and music). It just did things the way people wanted it to. People had phones, PDAs's and iPods. The iPhone truly replaced carrying three things on a daily basis (and basically killed the PDA era). And it did it incredibly well (at least in my opinion). I was amazed, and loved it dearly.

Unfortunately, when I went to the 3G model, I sent my pristine original iPhone to my girlfriend (at the time) to use as an iPod Touch (she had a cell phone). She broke my heart (in several ways), by proceeding to drop it several times (even though I gave her cases for it), and then ultimately someone stole it from her open car.

Long story short, I want one just to have. Don't know if it's worth spending $100 for it though, since it's now obsolete and pretty unusable. I'd definitely pay $50 to $60.

10. itjw macrumors 65816

Strangely enough it's still pretty darn usable. Now, there are a lot of improvements of course on the new ones, but the 2G still "works" flawlessly for what it is. The screen still responds, it still plays music, videos, some older games, takes and views pictures "pishures", and makes calls (although I have that disabled for my 2 year old haha...).

If there were no upgraded alternatives I could easily go back to it being my only phone. I wouldn't LIKE it as much, but it's still easily usable.

It's like my HDTV. The fact that Fry's has a 4K Sony on display doesn't make my 1080P 240HZ any less usable, it just makes me jealous and less relevant to the cutting edge :cool:

The 2G is a remarkable piece of tech. The $100 mark seems to have been the floor for the last year or two now (for a NICE one at least). Collectible ones have been steadily creeping up in price too.