How Much for my Mac Pro

nick9871

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
I am not using my Mac Pro anymore really. I am on the computer at work all day doing my job and dont feel the desire to be on my computer when i get home. I only spend about 2 hours a week on it, mostly doing bills. I would like to sell it but I am not sure what it is worth.

Here is what is in it:

Dual 2.66's
3 GB memory (2 512's and 2 1 GB's)
ATI x1900XT
Standard 250GB drive + 300 GB Maxtor
New Apple Keyboard
19" Syncmaster LCD
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (has a bad connector but still work)

What is it worth?

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
then you should edit your original post since illegally distributing preinstalled copies of software is a huge no-no on this forum.
I don't think he's doing anything wrong, he's not providing the software, in fact he's not even officially soliciting it for sale, all he's done thus far is ask what the price would be.

Anyway, I'm not certain what it'd be, but I can assure you it'll go down a good percentage after they update the mac pro.

Comment

nick9871

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
I don't think he's doing anything wrong, he's not providing the software, in fact he's not even officially soliciting it for sale, all he's done thus far is ask what the price would be.

Anyway, I'm not certain what it'd be, but I can assure you it'll go down a good percentage after they update the mac pro.
Thats why I want to sell it now. Is $2800 a good price assuming I am not solicitating any extra software?

Comment

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
go read the forum rules.
I did, nothing in there that pertains to this situation.

Anyway, more on topic, $2800 doesn't seem like too bad, any idea what all the stuff (minus software if you can't legally include it) cost you? From just quickly looking at the apple store it seems a new one, plus monitor would cost in the neighborhood of 3500-3800, but thats upgrading everything using the apple store.

Comment

nick9871

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
I did, nothing in there that pertains to this situation.

Anyway, more on topic, $2800 doesn't seem like too bad, any idea what all the stuff (minus software if you can't legally include it) cost you? From just quickly looking at the apple store it seems a new one, plus monitor would cost in the neighborhood of 3500-3800, but thats upgrading everything using the apple store.
Ram was $300
Monitor was $200
Keyboard $50
Vid card $300 (upgrade price)
Extra drive $150
also forgot I have a second 18x Dual layer burner in there $110

Comment

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
In euro monies that's €1,935, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat if you lived in Ireland (so I could see it running).

What are you upgrading to?

Comment

nick9871

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Ha ha. Im downgrading. I dont use the computer anymore for development (which is what I used it for in the past). I do that at work now and dont come home and sit at the computer. I will probably pick up a used macbook or macbook pro because I woul rather have the mobility over processing power.

Comment

seclusion

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I would assume you need a computer at home any ways, correct?
Nothing you buy cheeper would compare.
You never know down the road if it'll be needed again.
But for selling it, if you hold out you'll get what you want for it.
If you want it gone, shave a $100 or 2 off it and it'll be gone.

Dare I ask what you'll replace it with?
Later

Comment

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Ram was $300
Monitor was $200
Keyboard $50
Vid card $300 (upgrade price)
Extra drive $150
also forgot I have a second 18x Dual layer burner in there $110
FYI, Vid Card upgrade is currently $249 from Apple.
Keyboard is also free from Apple.

Comment

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Keyboard is also free from Apple.
Unless it was wireless or one of the new keyboards. He really didn't specify.

I just sold mine in my signature (not including display) for $7000 NZD, around $5000 USD.
Lets keep in mind the Mac Pro in New Zealand starts at $4699 NZD, which is $3581 USD, compared to $2499 from the US Apple store. Don't think you're going to sell your machine for $5,000 USD here. Not really sure why you sold it anyway, as I have always enjoyed your Mac Pro related posts on your blog.

Comment

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Glenn why did you sell your mac pro? didn't you just upgrade to 9GB ram?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.