How much free disk space is in a new Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by climater, Jul 11, 2013.

1. climater macrumors newbie

Hi,

I plan to purchase a new Macbook Air and would hesitate to pay $200 more to double the SSD from 128GB to 256. I wonder how much free disk space available apart from what OS X has taken in a new machine. I'm a researcher who does quite a bit of data crunching. But I can live with a 1TB USB3.0 portable HDD. Thanks.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

3. Suraj R. macrumors regular

My Macintosh HD drive appears to be a 120.47 GB drive. With the OS and stock apps and everything it should be around 105 - 110 GB.

Don't upgrade the SSD, what you should do is get a 64 or 128 GB MicroSD card and keep it permanently in the SD card slot of the Air.

One of these will make this a lot easier:
    http://theniftyminidrive.com

4. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

You're not going to run a bootcamp install from your SD card so that's bad advice for anyone who needs to run bootcamp.

5. Suraj R. macrumors regular

I suppose, yeah, but I'm going to use it for storing media (games, movies). Didn't know what the OP was asking for specifically sorry

6. climater thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Suraj. I don't think I will have the need for bootcamp since chances are rare that I will need to run Windows programs. I will double the RAM to 8GB. With that I should be able to run Windows in VM if absolutely necessary.

7. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I am browsing their website and I'm having trouble figuring out what this is exactly. I want to get one for the Retina MacBook Pro I am purchasing. How much space does it have? Is it really just an adapter for an SD card? Thanks.

8. mynameis321 macrumors member

How much space would Bootcamp take up, with just Microsoft Office installed?

9. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard