how much free drive space should you have ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anonymous4a, Jun 23, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

How much free hard drive space should you ideally have ? I have a 150 gig ssd drive running mountain lion. Is there an ideal amount of free space to have for the OS to run efficiently ?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'd reckon around 10-15% "open space" on the drive, for swap files, temp files, etc.

So -- on a 150gb drive, I'd want around 15gb "free", 10gb at the very least.

You might go "lower", but I sense that at some point, you're going to see performance impacted quite severely...

3. mike08b macrumors newbie

The computer doesn't necessarily need a certain percentage of the drive to be free...a larger hard drive does not require more free space for the computer to run efficiently.

At a minimum, you should leave 15-20GB of free space. The ideal amount would be around 50-100GB free, but if you only have a 150GB drive you will probably find yourself more around 50GB free, perhaps slightly lower.

With such a small hard drive capacity, you might consider purchasing some external storage (e.g. a flash SD card to leave in the SD slot, or an external drive) to leave your files on so that your system and apps can run off of the internal drive. You might put large apps (over 5GB) on external storage, as well...they will run fine on external storage.

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Some.....

techie savy people would indicate a percentaje between 10-20% of the capacity on your hard drive. That amount is based in operations like paging and virtual memory management. That said, I personally feel better with large files, like media (music, video or RAW photo images) stored in external storage, with the respective backup strategy on work. And apps stored directly in your hard drive.

:):apple: