How much free storage effectively on iPhone 6 16GB and iOS8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilabila, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It probably comes with 11-12GB accessible to the user.

2. Actarus macrumors member

3. lilabila thread starter macrumors member

Cool, that sounds not all too bad. Really hope I can get a definitive confirmation on the exact free storage size with ios8.

Is there somebody with a 16GB or in a store right now and could look it up quickly?

Thank you

4. hypervish89 macrumors regular

5. lilabila thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

6. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

7. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have a 16 GB iPhone 6. I have 2.8 GB used and 9.4 GB available, so I would assume I had 12.2 GB free to start with also. 16 GB is plenty for me and probably for a lot of others as well. Not insane.

8. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

My wife and I each had 16GB 6 & 6+ respectively and that just doesn't cut it anymore. Both these new phones have such great photo and video taking abilities that they will eat up memory in no time. We ponied up and got the 128GB 6 and 6+. I just feel better knowing now I can use this phone as freely as I want to. Also, that "other" memory creeps up on you goo. Constantly gotta delete and reinstall apps and clear history etc. - too maddening for me. Apple should've started with 32GB as the base but hey they win regardless

9. lilabila thread starter macrumors member

I'd like to buy the 64 gig version but it's the only one available at the time.

Mostly, I will miss out on music, but for Images and Videos I use a DSLR nearly a 100%.

Still 16 gig is so tight, hope it works out...

10. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

No man for your sake don't tie yourself down like that. I have a 16gb iPad and it's down to 1gb after a week.

11. nanabuuui macrumors newbie

I returned my 16 GB phone today to wait for the 64 GB :/ it's absolutely grueling to wait!

I figured that managing the phone with so little memory will be problematic in the near future.

12. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

A Lot? i doubt so. Your not an average user, i dont take a lot of pictures or videos at all (only when i travel) and its already 1.4 GB, especially for women it won't be enough. Facebook takes 400 MB alone because of the data as well. so you can imagine games and other apps are well over 1.5 GB.

but if people keep buying the 16GB we won't see 32GB as the base model for a while. 16GB is obsolete and it should be only an option for the Free phones. i dont even know how an 8GB iPhone 5C sells. you initially have 4 GB of free storage space.

and as iOS develops, its only going to take more storage space

13. abta1 macrumors 6502

I bought the 128Gb iPhone 6 because it was the only one in stock at the Apple store, otherwise I would have opted for the 64Gb version. However, I'm kind of glad I did get the largest capacity as the photo and video taking faunctionality of the phone is great and I have already been using my phone over a camera for quick photo taking.

However, the thing that really makes the 16Gb capacity a no go for me I found was after trying to update my 16Gb retina ipad mini to iOS 8. To do this over the air (which I prefer to do rather than attaching to my computer) needed 7GB of free storage! That's an incredible amount of free space required if you only have the 16Gb device. Granted this will probably only happen once a year when a major iOS release occurs but still.

14. lilabila thread starter macrumors member

Well I think it will indeed be a major inconvenience with just 16 gigs..
    Not worth the hassle

I'm going for a used 32 gig 5 or 5s instead to replace my iphone 4

Thank you guys