How much GB do you need on a SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Trying to get a "real" SSD, Solid State Drive.
    I'm planning on getting either 90GB or a 120,128GB SSD.
    90GB are like $120-$140.
    120,128GB are like $170 - $220.

I'm trying to be as cheap as possible. 90GB sounds good right now, but will it be enough for me? I plan to store all my photos and movies on an external 500GB portable.

As of right now...
    I have the Adobe PSCS5 and Premiere = 8GB.
    Lion OSx = 4GB.
    Music = 4GB.
    World of Warcraft = 10GB.
    Skype/AIM/etc. = 1GB.
    Others = 10GB.

Total: 39GB.
    And the SSD probably has 80-85GB that you can actually use.

But will I need more in the future? I've only been using my MBP for the past 3 weeks so far.

As of right now, I'm using 90GB with movies/pictures/junk.

How much do you use?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

128GB is what I have and Im using 32GB with Adobe CS5 Master Suite, MS Office 2011 and a bunch of other apps installed.

3. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    Any recommendations on 80GB/90GB brand name SSD?
    I hear really good and awful reviews on OCZ.

4. superericla macrumors 6502

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sorry, but nobody can really help you here besides informing you on how much storage they utilize on their SSD, which really gets you nowhere.

Not a single user on this entire forum (besides you) is going to be able to determine that 120 GB of storage is going to be enough for you in terms of how much space you may fill up in the future.

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The larger the SSD, the faster it will be; and should have a longer life, if only a slightly longer one.

I wouldn't go smaller than 120GB, I'm getting myself a 240GB/1TB setup.

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I am using 32GB's out of 160! I still need to install PS and a few other apps but I don't usually load my computer down. I only bought the 160 in case I ever decide to dual boot into Windows.

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

The first question is what you should be asking yourself and estimating from the amount of files you have. And also the second question about needing more in the future.

As i store most of my files on an external HDD, I still have a bunch of files i keep on my mac. Out of my 250gb original disk, i have around 40-50 gb free. I also dual boot windows and have a VM of windows and Ubuntu on my mac side. I wont be buying an SSD anytime soon but looking into investing a Hybrid Drive.

This is all up to you actually.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I opted for two 120gb SSDs. I have one in the normal drive bay and the second using an optibay. I'm happy with this set up. I have most of my large files/pictures on a Qnap NAS but I still have a need for local storage.

With that said, I've stated what I needed based on my needs. Don't ask what you need based on our setup. If you think you can live within an 80 or 90gb SSD then by all means pick one up.

I have an OWC SSD and I'm very pleased with this, and I also have an intel 320 SSD which is faster the the OWC but reports have come out about a bug in the firmware. I'd recommend holding off on the intel until they release a bug fix.

10. jbjones85 macrumors member

I have 120 and I personally wouldn't go any smaller than that. They run better/faster when they aren't "full" so I would get the largest one you can afford.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I personally only buy SSD because I havent had any bad experiences with them. I would say;

OCZ Vertex 3
    or
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G

12. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I have a 256GB that comes with my MBP. I'm down to 30GB free. The thing is I run two Vmware Fusion with a SQL server.

Honestly, is there such thing is enough space? Get the biggest you can afford. I got mine SSD from Apple. My previous MBP's HD broke down twice and I basically walk into an Apple store and right out with a new one. 20 minutes replacement.