How much glossy is macbook pro display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michal11, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Michal11, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

Michal11 macrumors member

Hello guys,

I would like to ask just how much glossy is macbook pro display in 13 model. I have no chance to see macbook in person and I would like to buy it for my brother for work. (he hates to look at himself in display/mirror btw :D) I have macbook air where the glossy display is absolutely ok same like in every other windows laptop. But I know that macbook pro has glass on top of it so it is going to be much worse.

Is some of you able to tell that in percentages? Letsay that it is 40% more glossy then regular laptop/macbook air etc.

When I look at youtube videos where people review their macbook pro it seems extremely glossy but I bet it is mainly because of camera right? So in person it should not be that much?

Thank you so much

2. ottos, Oct 22, 2011

ottos macrumors member

I used matte laptop screens for years before I got mine 13'' mbp gloss screen
    and I really like it, overall the glossy is not a problem for me,it is really a matter of opinion.

3. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

I am glad you like it mate but it somehow did not answer my question :)

4. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

The first laptop I bought was a windows things with a matte screen as I thought I would hate the glossy. I replaced it with a glossy macbook pro and can't believe how much better the screen looks. One consideration, you can put a matte screen cover on a glossy screen to make it matte, but there is nothing you can do to a matte screen to make it glossy.

5. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Well of course I know colors and everything looks more vibrant on glossy. But I am afraid of too much glosiness eveu during dark light conditions. Since this lcd is glass I doubt it is nothing like regular glossy notebook screens but it is much more brutal. Which is the reason I am asking how big the difference is :)

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't like how glossy it is. If you need a comparison, place a piece of glass in front of your monitor. It'll look like that.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Tolerably glossy. Doesn't bother me at all, especially since I keep my screen as bright as possible.
    Also, the bezel is black. Matte screens have a PowerBook-esque silver bezel. I prefer the black one; it looks much nicer.

No matter how I look at the matte display (my friend has a 2.0Ghz quad core with matte), the blacks aren't as dark as the glossy.

But the hi-res is a must.

8. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I personally hate high res so it is not a "must" for me :). Unless you are graphic designer or video maker it is useless imho.

9. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Believe me, once you go hi-res, you can never go back ;)
    And there is no matte low-res display, so if you're going to decide between the matte and glossy, you might as well compare the hi-res version to the matte.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I feel you. It seems really difficult to answer the actual question. Most people only seem to read some buzzwords and give their usual answer. If human intelligence is like that the AI researchers have a much simpler job than they though they would.

The glossy is quite a bit worse as there are no muted reflections. They are almost full there. It is really difficult to say how much a difference. Compared to an AR glossy TV screen it is a huge difference something like 2-3 times brighter reflections. Most normal non AR glossy Notebooks aren't that much different. I would guess at 30% brighter reflections.
    The best thing is still to just take a glass and try it. You probably have some pictures hanging around in your house which are behind some glass or just take a Window. It is quite accurate.
    I think if you can deal with a normal glossy notebook you will be fine with the glass glossy and the somewhat brighter screens. Sadly a decent AR coating to get the best of both worlds isn't available among notebooks. Sony are the only ones with a sort of semi matte screen on some models.

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

13 comes in only one screen confrugation

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd Have To Say

You won't notice much....I have bot. In certain lighting conditions the glossy is best and vV I guess you work out what light you work in most of the time?

13. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if you've getting the 13" model you don't have much of a choice at this point. There's no hi res or matte option on the 13" MBP.

14. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

yeah thanks guys. I will probably buy radtech clearcal matte film as well and I think that could solve the problem if there is too much glare.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I like to keep the glass on mine clean.

As a result it serves as a perfect mirror.

I can't get much work done since the ladies are always stopping by to touch up their makeup. But hey, it could be worse I guess.

16. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I put a Power Support anti-glare film on my 13" MBP. I compared it to my 15" MBP with a matte screen and they are comparable. I have the same film on an iPad.

Another option is a replacement matte display from Tech Restore. It costs around $200 including return shipping.

17. Prodo123, Oct 22, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

My glossy screen's perfectly clean, but there's no reflections on it.
    So only the black bezel is a mirror.
    Useful for checking for stalkers, agents, or the occasional spy.
    I keep an insane pyromaniac with a flamethrower next to me at all times, just in case.

18. HabSonic macrumors regular

MBP and iMac have the glossier screen in the market because of the glass they put on top of the screen. If you can't stand glossy screen, you definitely won't stand the MBP glossy screen. The screen is a perfect mirror when your looking at something black.

19. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Now i know that you work for the CIA! :D

More proofs that you work for a three letter organisation! ;)

I use olive oil to solve this problem. Tasty! ;)

I agree 100 %.

20. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

21. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I will probably buy radtech clearcal as I have heard it is even better than power support. However it is funny like some people say matte films are absolutely fine and some say it is absolutely horrible. Just another evidence how different everybody is :).

Techrestore would be my No.1 choice if I lived in U.S. I have already asked them but unfortunately they do not offer international shipping :/

22. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I use RadTech products and like them a lot. But ClearCal has some problems according to this reviewer: http://www.andymcintosh.com/

"I waited until I had plenty of time and patience before even attempting to install the ClearCal and was delighted when I got it on straight (more-or-less), and without air bubbles or trapped dust particles. I wasn’t disappointed with the product at all until I turned on my computer and noticed slight rainbow sheen when looking through the anti-glare film at light colored backgrounds. It’s not that noticeable, but the more I saw it, the more it bugged me. The film also slightly distorts the super crisp text that I was seeing before installing it. Bummer."

The Power Support anti-glare film does not have these problems. I have used both devices under a variety of lighting, including outside.

Whichever film you wind up ordering, I suggest applying the film as soon as you open the box containing your new Mac. I did this with both my MBP and iPad and I did not have to clean the screens, except for a few dust specks on the MBP that I removed with a microfiber cloth.

Both installations went without a hitch: no dust and no bubbles that I couldn't rub-out with the microfiber cloth. BIG improvement over the "glassy" display!

Good luck!

23. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

thank you so much! so regarding the screen quality you suggest to use powersupport instead of clearcal right?

24. Mojo1, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Yes, based on my own experience with the brand. It's more expensive than the RadTech option, but you get what you pay for... ;)

BTW, I really like RadTech OmniCleanz for cleaning displays, electronics and cameras/lenses (I'm a pro photographer). It's non-conductible, so No Worries using it on electronic devices that can short-out when exposed to water. It removes dirt that water does not and it leaves no visible residue. The best value is the larger bottle; I use the 1 ounce bottles for traveling. RadTech even included a free ounce bottle with my last order. A large bottle last around a year; if I didn't use it to clean our eyeglasses it would last a lot longer.

25. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Power Support 10% Discount Code

I just stumbled upon this in another thread: Oct9193

I tried it and it works; it isn't much off but $3.50 saved is worth the effort required to input a discount code!