How much hard disk space do you allocate to Boot Camp ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gorilla Power, Apr 18, 2010.

?

How much hard disk space do you allocate to Boot Camp ?

1. 10 - 15 GB

13.6%
  2. 16 - 25 GB

4.5%
  3. 26 - 35 GB

11.4%
  4. 36 - 50 GB

15.9%
  5. > 50 GB

54.5%
  1. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Trying to get an impression on how much space I should assign to Boot Camp. I'll be on an Intel SSD so every GB is precious. Do you use Windows ? Linux ? Feel free to share below what you use another OS for.

I personally want Windows only to play a couple of games, although not two at the same time. Age of Empires III is my favorite ! :D So once I finish one game I'd remove it and install a new one. Apart from this nothing else really..

Thanks !

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Still have the stock 500GB drive, will have to wait till later this year till I can afford a SSD as the i7 has caned my finances. So for the mo main use for Windows is gaming, use Steam client etc and atm split is 50/50.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When I setup Bootcamp, I usually go for a minimal partition size so around 20GBs.

Only use for some work specific software and Office, and a couple of games.

4. Smoothie97 macrumors member

For reference, I just did a Boot Camp install of Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit), Boot Camp drivers from the OS X install disc, Office 2003, Office 2003 SP3, and did all Windows updates. I did not install anything else and that took up 34 GB!! I hate Windows...such a hog. I allocated 50 GB total.

5. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Well, I don't have my MBP yet (I'm getting it sometime in the next few weeks), but I'm going for the low end 15" with the 320GB hard drive (I'll upgrade to an SSD once the price goes down on them. I'm not willing to go without 250GB+ HD space). I'm thinking between 70-100GB for Windows, and the rest for OS X. So, between 220-250 for OS X. This is just a very rough estimate, as my need for Windows HD space will go down once Steam for Mac releases.

6. Gorilla Power thread starter macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I'm thinking of doing around 25GB too. 10 for Windows, some more formatting space and hopefully I'll be left with 8 - 10GB for a game or two.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for - from experience. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" lololl :D

7. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

60gigs out of my 500gb drive. the OS itself takes up around 11gigs which is pretty annoying.

8. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I've only ever used boot camp to load BSD on minis, and in that case, I dedicated essentially the entire disk to it.

On my MBP, I don't use boot camp.

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Annoying but that's just the cost of a modern operating system. A typical out of the box Leopard install (combination of System & Library directories) comes in right about 11GB also. Back in my day the OS used to fit on a floppy. ;)

10. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

I was thinking around 75 Gb's with updates and software I'll need for it. (I have a 500GB drive and I don't load music, pictures or videos on it, they are on my server and NAS).

11. Tochill macrumors newbie

It's probably system restore that's taking up the bulk of the space. Turn it off and you will recoup a ton of space.

12. Gorilla Power thread starter macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Is there any way to avoid installing language packages and unnecessary printer drivers to save space in Windows ?

13. youngmac macrumors regular

the default choice 32gb i have got around 4gb left. i have installed microsoft office and one game World in Conflict. i don't think i will go with more than 32 gb if not installed games or only one game.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wow!

For reference, I use Windows XP Professional 32 Bit. Vista definitely takes more space, plus being a 64 bit install.

My Windows needs are very limited as I mentioned above. XP does all I need. So that helps.