How much hard drive space have I used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Sonhascome, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I am trying to determine how much hard drive space that I've used, so I right clicked on the hard drive icon on my desktop and hit get info, it says that I have 407.7gbs available of 499.25gbs. Then I go to disk utility which says that I have used 147.28GBs which is much larger than what the Get info told me from my hard drive on my desktop. and just to make it a little more fun, on mackeeper when I look at disk usage it says 38.1GB . . . .so my question is which one do I believe? I ordered a 120GB ssd so I'm trying to consolidate my data to fit onto that. I had previously just done the get info and thought I was fine, but now I'm not so sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks

UPDATE!!
    So I ran daisy disk and I it shows that the other 108.4GB that I've been trying to account for are .mobilebackups so then do I need that/can i delete it since I have time machine to an external drive? Will it need to be transferred over when I put my new hard drive in?

SOLUTION!!!
    After a lot of searching, I've found out that Lion makes local back ups to your hard drive and it eats up a lot of space, so the solution is to turn of time machine and tell it when to back up, that way it deletes all previous .mobilebackups and will not create anymore

2. mape2k macrumors regular

Info on data storage display in Mac OSX and iOS

Do you have any partitions on your main drive? Disk Utility always considers the whole drive (e.g. also formatting space, boot partitions...). Maybe your 3rd-Party App does not check that space and therefore displays less usage. Also, different applications will read data on a different base than others (see the link above).

For an accurate reading, please type in <df -h> in the console and post the output here.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

are you using time machine? It does store local backups. OSX will free up this space if it is required, so it is not considered "used" by some programs.

4. Goten macrumors newbie

Go into terminal and type

df -h

Usually tells me what I want to know.

5. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I don't have any partitions. I think you are right about the 3rd party app, i found out it only scans for files over 1gb. I went to terminal and put in df -h and it said that I had used 138gi of 465gi, but when i look in my "get info" tab on my hd it says I have 432Gb available. My biggest question is will I be able to fit my stuff on a 120gb ssd?

Ok, that would make since, but would it really use 74Gb for that?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive used some of these but none of them show the same total when you go About my Mac, then look at the storage section, that "other" section is always about 60GB for me

everywhere i read its says its system files and the OS, but the OS should not be more than 5GB so how can there be 55GB of system files

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"System Files" includes much more than the OS. Application data is included in System Files.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i guess i still find it confusing when my Application folder is 19GB and the system files are almost tripple it

10. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, this is what confuses me and concerns me that I won't be able to fit it all on my new 120GB ssd that I just ordered

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The system files include application caches, plists, images, logs, etc. They can easily take up more space than the apps themselves. For example, take a look at the following two folders. Get Info on them and see how many files and how much space is consumed:
    /Library/Application Support
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support​

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for the info

13. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

So I'm guessing I won't be able to fit this onto a 120gb hard drive?

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, you won't. 138gb is quite probably the correct number.

15. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

So I've cut down more on hd space, approx another 20gb out and the disk utility still says that I have 138gb used, which means now that I have 90gb of space that I can't account for? Is that much of it local backups?

16. matt94gt macrumors member

IStat Menu

One word...well 3 "iStat Menus 3" download it well worth it, best 'monitoring' app I have ever used it will give you all this data as well as cpu usage, memory usage, temperatures etc. I love it.

17. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

So I ran daisy disk and I it shows that the other 108.4GB that I've been trying to account for are .mobilebackups so then do I need that/can i delete it since I have time machine to an external drive? Will it need to be transferred over when I put my new hard drive in?

18. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

After a lot of searching, I've found out that Lion makes local back ups to your hard drive and it eats up a lot of space, so the solution is to turn of time machine and tell it when to back up, that way it deletes all previous .mobilebackups and will not create anymore

19. mape2k macrumors regular

Just use an external HDD as a Time Machine and you will be fine.

If you are worried about the disk usage, I suggest you do a clean install on the new SSD. Install Apps as desired and see how that works. This way, a lot of files that accumulate with usage are not transferred over.

You can also disable the safe hibernation, so no image file (usually in the order of your RAM) is created. Another 4-8Gigs saved there.

20. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, I'll look into that. The weird thing about was that I was using an external drive for time machine so I'm not sure why it started backing up to my internal HD in the first place