How much hard drive space will I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phas3, Apr 25, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to figure out how much storage I will be needing to keep my hd shows going here are a list of shows I will be getting

Fringe
    Dexter
    Mad Men
    House
    The Office
    Chuck
    John Adams

missing probably a couple more shows. I dont know how much of a hd I should get.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Depends on the quality. High-quality 720p BluRay rips of 40-minute TV episodes are usually a little over 2 GB each, so expect 26 GB per season of Dexter x 5 seasons = 130 GB. Again, it really depends where it's coming from. I don't know how big iTunes-purchased HD shows are, but probably less. HDTV rips are more like 1 GB.

3. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Any idea how much standard definition films ripped from DVDs using Handbrake will take up?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

for the thread starter...

If you want all those shows and more in HD, I'd suggest an external firewire hard drive. why external? so you dont have to mess with opening your mac, and you can get bigger drives. why firewire? its faster.
    If your videos are in 720p, you should get a 1 TB disk, might be a little extream, but then you can continue adding episodes, a 1TB drive can be found for around 70$. if its 1080p, maybe a 1.5 or a 2TB. these would be around 80-130$. unless you dont want to spend much. you could burn them to dual-layer dvd's.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Maybe for a USB drive, but you'd be lucky to find a 1 TB FireWire drive for under $120 USD. You may as well just buy a drive and a FireWire enclosure.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Right now I use a little over 1TB for 65 seasons of different shows, most are in HD. I can't give you total for just HD, because it would take too long to add them up, but you an idea…
    Fringe uses about 40GB for the 2 seasons, 80GB for 4 seasons of Dexter. My Office shows are still on DVD (no Bluray) and I don't watch the other shows.

And encoding each episode in 720p takes about 4 hours on a 8-core 2.66GHz Mac Pro.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You shouldn't need FireWire 800 just for playing TV shows, even in HD. I have no problems playing even 1080p video from my external hard drives over USB or FireWire 400.

10. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I thought so, I think a 1.5tb wd element should be good enough or should I go with the my book studio or somethig like that?