How much HD space for windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AngelFir3, Oct 30, 2010.

1. AngelFir3 macrumors member

AngelFir3

hey there, i havent yet got my mac but i have been looking on the forums for how much hard drive space for windows 7? can anyone tell me what is a good idea, ill be useing it for games really, but using mac OX most of the time... hopefully. i have looked on MRoogle but got no luck, on for xp. thank you for help guys

i cant bloody wait for it to come lol

2. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Everybody's going to have a slightly different answer.

You can effectively run Windows 7 in its most bloated iteration in the stock 32GB Bootcamp default recommendation if you just need Windows for conferences that look for 32-bit MSIE and an Intel processor.

In my case, since I have a 1TB drive, I decided on 240GB for Windows, and the rest for OSX. I doubt that I'll ever really fill a 1TB drive with anything, so there's the luxury of a little extra space.

All I need is an antique terminal application that runs in 32-bit mode, MSIE for oddball conferences that look for it, and MS Office for those occasions somebody does some fancy formatting that won't show up properly in iWork. Lots of space left over for storing those pesky Windows files that people over-format. :)

So...this is why everybody's answer is different. Won't your games fit into 240GB or so, even with all the storage for saves?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Even though I find I use windows <10% of the time, my rule of thumb is 20-25% of the system's HDD, so around 120 GB on a 500 GB disk is a good place to start.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do on Windows and how much HDD space you have & need on OS X.

B

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

If you disable pagefile, system restore and hibernation Windows 7 is 12GB.

5. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

I have a 18gb partition with 5.7 free currently, so just enough to get what I need done, but I only use it for syncing/restoring my BB and watching online soccer