How Much Influence with the Retina Macbook have over the Macbook Pro Redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psyfuzz, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Hey guys,

This is a purely speculative thread but I was curious to see to what degree the design choices with the new retina Macbook will carry over to the next Macbook Pro redesign?

Personally I doubt the new keyboard mechanism will carry over, while I don't have any issue with it personally the divisive response from consumers would lead me to believe they won't carry these over - however if thinness is again Apple's MO with the new MBP they may adopt them. I do expect the keyboard to use the new font and symbols found on the new keyboard however.

I expect USB-C to be focal to the new MBP's IO options, but still retaining an independent MagSafe and HMDI port.

I also expect the lit 'Apple logo' on the reverse of the screen to also leave with the redesign and opt for the metallic logo found on the rMB/iPads/iPhones, and the 3 colour options from the rMB to carry over.

What's the thoughts of the rest of MR?

2. nStyle, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

nStyle macrumors 6502a

I still prefer the current design to the rMB - so here's hoping they don't overhaul it too much. I think they'll make the edges thinner like the MBA but definitely keep the same keyboard. I think the glowing Apple will stay. It's too iconic to eliminate IMO. We'll have 2-3 USB-C and a (maybe) dedicated HDMI and a headphone jack. I don't see them (realistically) completely overhauling it to fit with the rMB

3. oGu macrumors member

I can see a design change in a way that they eliminate all ports and go for three or four USB-C, a headphone jack and maybe an HDMI port.

Considering how apple is obsessed with thinness I can see them slimming the overall height but I do not think they will do the tapering design of the MacBooks.

Screen will be the same resolution and I think only if they do a major slimming doing of it's thickness like on the macbook they will consider removing the glowing apple logo.

4. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Any thinness increase, no matter how much, would eliminate USB A and HDMI, so USB C is inevitable with any refresh. There's no way to keep those two ports and go any thinner. Additionally, the Thunderbolt would be gone too since it'd be a redundant port. As sad as it is to say, I think the magsafe power would also be a casualty of going to USB-C.. it's the future, and it's inevitable, it's only a matter of time until when they make the cutover.

5. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

I agree mostly, except the screen. That's a huge way to thin down the laptop. Decrease the bezel size while keeping the same size screen, making the entire lineup thinner and lighter. Thinning the screen shell down would also mean no more room for both structural integrity and the glowing logo.

Regarding the USB-C, there would be no logic to keeping separate power in the laptop. It'd be like if you convert your car to electric, and leave the gas tank. It no longer serves a purpose. Just like if they go the direction of USB-C... that's a power source technology in itself. Having a separate power port would make no sense.

I think it'd be cool to have USB-C on both side, so I could decide which side to power it from. That's a new aspect of USB-C that most people don't think about. Makes a huge difference getting to decide which side to plug the power cord into and having that flexibility.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think the keyboard will be brought to the MBP. Apple made a big deal about it, and it does allow for a thinner design which Jony and his team will want! It's not too bad to type on, the travel isn't quite as much as I'd like but the bigger keys help and once you've been typing for 15 minutes or so you don't really notice it.

What ports will stay is a quandary. I can't see Thunderbolt going as it is Apple's 'pro' I/O, so either that will stay in its current form (unlikely) or they'll use Thunderbolt 3 with the USB-C shaped ports. However, I think Intel's Alpine Ridge controller only supports two Thunderbolt 3 ports. So Apple will have to differentiate the USB-C ports if they put them on the new MBP from the TB3 ports.

Another possibility is USB-A stays, along with two Thunderbolt 3 ports. I think this is unlikely, but Apple haven't before seemed keen on having multiple ports of the same shape which do different things (they made a big fuss when they introduced the first USB 3 Mac that they weren't differentiating ports by a blue or white colour, they were all just USB 3).

The headphone port will obviously stay, but MagSafe, HDMI and SDXC slot could go either way. If we do get USB-C, I'd be saddened but unsurprised to see MagSafe go. HDMI may also be eschewed in favour of USB-C/TB3 adaptors; likewise with the SD card slot.

As the MBP gets more and more consumer focussed, it gets harder to predict what Apple will keep on their laptops and what will go. I thought that separate audio in/out, ExpressCard, ethernet, etc would all stay on the MBP for years to come but that turned out not to be the case.

Aside from the keyboard and I/O, I expect the MBP to adopt the rMB's three colour options (and rose gold if the iPhone gets it this Wednesday) and a slightly slimmer design. The glowing Apple may go; it is iconic, but Apple have never seemed nostalgic in the past. If it allows for a thinner, better display I'm sure they'd have no hesitation in getting rid of it.

7. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

I hear they are thinking of making it Gold.