Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
i currently have a 12.9 IPP 64 GB. I am still within my return period.

I have used 8GB. I have about 25 apps. I have about 250 photos. I Store my music on the iPhone. I could also store it on the iPad, but wonder why would I? If I did Store it on the iPad, it would take about 20GB. I have never watched a TV show or movie on any of my former iPads, but I might like to.

I have 50GB of iCloud storage and have used 8GB.

Do I need more then the 64GB iPad ?

I have 128GB on my iPhone and have only used 28GB so far.

Again,from what I have shared, do I need more iPad storage?

Thanks

sacha_g88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
I originally went with 64 but then exchanged for a 256. I could get by with 64, but I wanted to have some movies and comics stored locally so that I could slowly work my way through reading and watching them without having to always download it when the time came. If you aren't planning on doing major media consumption and don't mind using the cloud, i would think you can do just fine with 64. i'm also using the 12.9 as a replacement for my laptop so figured that much more space for a relatively minimal cost was a good idea.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I will be just using my IPP for consumption. I am not using it as a laptop replacement as we have an iMac 27 which we love. Surfing, YouTube,email, posting in forums, reading the occasional iBook. Experimenting with watching TV shows or movies. Fairliy light stuff I would assume.

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
I will be just using my IPP for consumption. I am not using it as a laptop replacement as we have an iMac 27 which we love. Surfing, YouTube,email, posting in forums, reading the occasional iBook. Experimenting with watching TV shows or movies. Fairliy light stuff I would assume.

You seem to self answer your own question already.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

As long as you are always somewhere where your iPad is connected it seems like you are okay - for the way you are currently using your iPad. If that won't change, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. But if you ever change how you will use it, you are stuck.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
There will always be a future iPad, etc. if you are fine now, save the money and utilize the cloud. Unless you want to hoard games and videos, 64 GB will be enough. I moved down from 128 to 64 GB when I moved from the 9.7 iPad Pro to the new 12.9. I store hundreds of PDFs in research project on the iPad, but I utilize the cloud for anything that doesn't need to always be on the device. Are use about 12 GB. I recently went on a 2 Week Rd. trip and stored several hours of media and games. I didn't reach 25 GB of use. If you are not short on storage now, you've already answered your question, and you were just fretting. I did the same thing, just enjoy the purchase and the money saved.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
The correct answer is always "as much as you can afford", unless you have a very fixed idea of how you will use the device in the future that you know will fit into a smaller capacity.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
For the $100 difference I think 256 is the sweet spot. My iPP 9.7 was 128GB and perfect -- I had about 30GB free on that one. No music. No movies. But a lot of magazines, books, documents and a few photos plus apps keep getting more bloated all the time. I probably will never use anything near 256 but 64 is too small for sure and there is no 128GB model this year.

Keep in mind the iPad is not your iPhone. Most of the storage on my iPhone is taken up by photos and music. Completely difference use scenario there.

Just remember you can never upgrade your storage. So a year or two down the road you still like the way your iPad runs but no longer have room to add new apps or docs or whatever you either have to start micromanaging storage or get a new one. Neither is a fun thing to do if it's not what you planned.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I was planning on getting the 128GB option but they scrapped it. I'm fairly sure 64gb was enough but I want to have this device for a good number of years and the upgrade to 256GB to me at least seemed like a bit of a no brainer.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally i'll probably end up getting the 512GB, i think having the extra storage is nice. I also have the 50GB iCloud storage but that keeps files in the Cloud what happens if your wifi goes down or your out and about and there is no internet?

Reactions: rui no onna

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Personally i'll probably end up getting the 512GB, i think having the extra storage is nice. I also have the 50GB iCloud storage but that keeps files in the Cloud what happens if your wifi goes down or your out and about and there is no internet?
That's what I got. I think that the extra "I don't have to worry about it" storage is worth the premium. Others may not have those concerns, but I do, and mitigate it by always getting the largest memory capacity, from my original iPad to now.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
That's what I got. I think that the extra "I don't have to worry about it" storage is worth the premium. Others may not have those concerns, but I do, and mitigate it by always getting the largest memory capacity, from my original iPad to now.

i think along the same lines, and with IOS 11 on the iPad Pro having more productivity features i think I'm going to do more work on it than i would otherwise (that's not to say i wont still use my Mac, i still love the Mac.) I do think that having the 512GB would be better for those of us who want to keep everything on our iPad's for example TV shows can take up a lot of room for example the entire 1-6 series of Game of Thrones, movies can also do the same.

I have a 128GB iPad Pro 1st gen that I've filled up with only 1.7GB left over, and that's not even got half of my TV shows on it :(

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
i think along the same lines, and with IOS 11 on the iPad Pro having more productivity features i think I'm going to do more work on it than i would otherwise (that's not to say i wont still use my Mac, i still love the Mac.) I do think that having the 512GB would be better for those of us who want to keep everything on our iPad's for example TV shows can take up a lot of room for example the entire 1-6 series of Game of Thrones, movies can also do the same.

I have a 128GB iPad Pro 1st gen that I've filled up with only 1.7GB left over, and that's not even got half of my TV shows on it :(

I don't get this addiction to TV shows business. Once you've watched the episode / season, what do you do then?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't get this addiction to TV shows business. Once you've watched the episode / season, what do you do then?

You keep them on your iPad so you can watch them again, when you buy something from iTunes your buying a boxset (like you would a DVD from the shop) therefore you must already like the show so your likely to watch it again, you wouldn't buy a DVD and only watch it once.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You keep them on your iPad so you can watch them again, when you buy something from iTunes your buying a boxset (like you would a DVD from the shop) therefore you must already like the show so your likely to watch it again, you wouldn't buy a DVD and only watch it once.

Yeah but a movie and a series is different though. I mean if you like them you just put them back on when you feel like watching them. Also if it's from iTunes then it's always available anyway. Just a matter of tapping on the download button.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah but a movie and a series is different though. I mean if you like them you just put them back on when you feel like watching them. Also if it's from iTunes then it's always available anyway. Just a matter of tapping on the download button.

Yea but you can't do that if your wifi is down, iTunes keep's them in the cloud that's good but there not available right away without downloading that's the issue for some people. Yea i could probably get away with 256GB storage on the iPad Pro 2 but isn't it true that more storage is better?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yea but you can't do that if your wifi is down, iTunes keep's them in the cloud that's good but there not available right away without downloading that's the issue for some people. Yea i could probably get away with 256GB storage on the iPad Pro 2 but isn't it true that more storage is better?

I guess it really depends on where someone lives and their lifestyle. Speed of the internet connection is also relevant I suppose.

I don't think more is always better. Especially when one is going to pay extra money for something they're never going to need / use. Being a little mindful helps to manage storage effectively for me. Yes you can't survive on 16GB anymore but 512GB seems to be overkill to me.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
Same here. I don't store music or movies on my iPad. I stream movies through Kodi installed on my Amazon Fire Tv and I can watch tv shows on watchseries. Procreate may take up a lot of space once I get my iPad Pro and start drawing on it. I also want the 12.9 and I feel silly to get a big device with little storage. If I got 10.7 I'd feel 64gb is normal.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I guess it really depends on where someone lives and their lifestyle. Speed of the internet connection is also relevant I suppose.

I don't think more is always better. Especially when one is going to pay extra money for something they're never going to need / use. Being a little mindful helps to manage storage effectively for me. Yes you can't survive on 16GB anymore but 512GB seems to be overkill to me.

I guess it depends on personal preference, i can't say we have slow internet at home (we have Fibre) but in the UK i don't think we have the fastest in the world, also with app size increasing as well it's about thinking ahead. I guess if 512GB was over the top Apple wouldn't of released one, they want something that will sell.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I guess it depends on personal preference, i can't say we have slow internet at home (we have Fibre) but in the UK i don't think we have the fastest in the world, also with app size increasing as well it's about thinking ahead. I guess if 512GB was over the top Apple wouldn't of released one, they want something that will sell.

I'm in London and on fibre as well. Can't even think once when I'd like to have everything stored on my device. I just swap around content and as when I know I'd like or need them.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm in London and on fibre as well. Can't even think once when I'd like to have everything stored on my device. I just swap around content and as when I know I'd like or need them.

Yea but if you have multiple TV shows for example (Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine Nine and so on) it all mounts up and having to rotate it all is a bit cumbersome when you can just download your favourites, store them on the iPad and they are ready whenever you want to watch them. 512GB is a lot yes but there are other things as well like apps (Affinity Photo, games and so on) and they can also be kept on the iPad itself.

Reactions: akash.nu

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Only if you have decent internet connection at the time of download. I've been stuck in a hospital and having lotsa local media on my devices has been very useful.

512GB certainly isn't enough to store all my media. However, it's a good enough size to store a decent selection of favorites or TBW/TBR.

That said, given the OP's usage, 64GB sounds fine for him. My dad has similar storage needs and I got him a 2017 iPad 32GB. Plenty of free space left.

Last edited:

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Seems like you've got enough... I've only recently gotten devices that were more than the base storage - work phone and 128 GB iPP 12.9 - and I'm not close to using all the storage myself. It can be useful for trips where you may not have cell signal/wifi, but apart from that (at least for me) I find streaming to be a great solution for Apple Music and Plex. Certainly that won't always suffice, but it is getting to a pretty good level of ubiquity... that said, in times of spotty signal and sh*tty wifi - it makes you appreciate how good things have gotten these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.