How much is a dead G5 Powermac worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yoursh, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I saw a recent post on my local Craig's list for someone taking offers on a dead G5 Powermac. It's a dual 1.8 with 1 gig of ram no HDD and all misc accessories included. The poster says that a tech was pointing at a logic board/cpu issue. I thought about picking it up since my Xserve will be up and running in the next week or so and I'm looking for something new to 'tinker on'. I'm unsure of what a resonable offer would be for the unit. Any ideas?

2. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

It comes down to how dead is it?

Is it the:
    logic board
    logic board, ram
    logic board, ram, processors
    logic board, ram, processors, power supply
    logic board, ram, processors, power supply, etc.

I think you get the point.

We need to know what works in order to value it, because if everything is dead then the only thing to decide is the value of the case.

3. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

In the post, the poster states that they won't guarantee any of the parts as working. That's why I'm unsure of a price. Working units go on ebay for $900+ and cases go for $50+. So I'm guessing something in between....;)

4. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

If that is the case, it is nothing more than a gamble. You should just decide on what you are willing to loose if all goes wrong, and stick with that.

I wouldn't go higher than $650

I didn't check ebay.

5. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

Checked ebay and it seems anything similar is going for $100-$400. I offered $100 and would pick it up locally. I'll see if he/she bites.