Price Advice How much is a friends Mac Pro worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Napbree, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Napbree, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

Napbree macrumors newbie

Hi,

My friend is thinking about selling his machine but wants to know what he can get for it, the spec are as follows:

Early 2008
    2.8GHZ Quad Core Inte Xeon (Processors x2)
    10GB of ram
    Ati Radeon 2600XT (256mb)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 (1GB)
    HDD: 2x1TB, 1x320gb, 1x250gb
    Superdrive

Barely been used was just been stood still for ages hence the apple service as he didn't want to turn it on incase dust caused any issues.

It's just got back from an apple "service" so is still in the plastic and is in perfect condition. Was thinking about £700-800?

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nah, nowhere near that much. A quick check on eBay (see: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac...mputing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item4ac2d9f610) shows that they're valued considerably less.

Furthermore, benchmark scores for the Mac Pro you described (http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks) are around the same as a 2012 Mac Mini! I know it's hard to believe, especially considering the comparative prices -- CPU technology really has come on leaps and bounds.

I wouldn't say more than £500, but then I'm quite frugal ;)

--------

Sorry, I just re-read and you mentioned your friend wanted to sell it, rather than you buying it. In all honesty I'd shove it on Gumtree for £700 ONO and see how it goes.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say....

between 550 and 650 pounds and please dont take offense, with reserve. Good care of the machine, no cosmetic and functional issues can help in the price.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees.

:):apple:

4. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Try to sell it at £650 and include nice photos of the Mac Pro and specify in mint condition. If there are no buyers for a certain period try lowering the price to £600 to £550. Good luck to your friend. :)

5. utekineir macrumors 6502

This, selling things for a good price is all about presentation.

Start above what you want to get and stay flexible, people will always lowball and make offers.

I got $1250 for a similar specced machine a couple months back. Took a bit of time, unfortunately as soon as the next mp revision comes out this model will be taking another depreciation hit, so the window is shrinking.

6. jpn369 macrumors newbie

Clarification

Are you saying it has two Quad core processors? If so and is an eight core machine your estimate may be more accurate.

----------

Just noticed that example machine is up at £680 buy it now and if the specs are to be believed it only has 2gb Ram and one 320gb hard drive and the basic 250mb graphics card.
    The Nvidia graphics card on Napbree's friends machine sells for £230.