Price Advice How much is a iMac 2.4 core 2 duo 20" screen with dead drive worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobotech, Sep 29, 2011.

1. bobotech, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011

bobotech macrumors newbie

Just wondering.

A coworker has one and she just wants to get rid of it, they don't want to fix it. They bought a new iMac to replace it. Apparently it worked fine until the drive went bad. It would be just the iMac, no accessories.

What is a reasonable price for an imac like this?

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. Thank you!

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

3. bobotech thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, I would imagine 2008 since she said it was around 3 years old. I have not seen the unit itself or know the exact specs other than what I posted above.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

You could offer her 450$ If it is just the HD you could DIY it and get a new HD for 50$ and get a great deal! It would make a nice additional computer, or CL it
    !

5. bobotech thread starter macrumors newbie

That is roughly what I was thinking but when she emailed me earlier today, she said "850 without the Apple keyboard and 900 with the Apple keyboard". I was really taken aback and had to ask if what she wanted is reasonable or just way out there.

Now the problem is that I don't want to low ball her and piss her offf by saying "Umm, that is a bit high, how about 400?" excepting to get a counter of 450.

I don't know, I really am not sure how to respond to her email without offending her. LOL

6. Silofolous macrumors member

Wow. That's really high for a Mac that low-spec. You could spend 200 more and get a brand new one with a larger screen and a better everything.

I'd personally say like 400-500 tops.

7. richardhunt macrumors regular

You could point out that fully functioning iMacs with those specs are typically selling on e-bay for around BIN $550.00 Take away $150 for the cost of a drive plus installation and you got your $400.00. That is about as good as an unbiased appraisal of her machine as you can get.

8. bobotech thread starter macrumors newbie

Part of the problem is that she sent me a link to the Everymac.com info page about a mac like hers.

This is her email quoted:
    As everyone knows, everymac.com seriously inflates the values for old macs. Heck, it says that the value of my old Powerbook G4 15 inch 866mhz is around 350-450 and I know I would be lucky to get 150 for it.

She just might be one of those users who doesn't realize that the depreciation of used computers is horrendous even on the mac side.

I'm not looking to rip her off or anything, I am just looking for a reasonable deal on a sorta fixer-upper (hard drive replacements are a snap even in iMacs to me).

9. Cursed macrumors member

Best thing you can do really is show her similar iMacs that have sold on eBay. I paid £420 for mine with Apple keyboard and mighty mouse and its in fully working order.

10. bobotech thread starter macrumors newbie

What I mean is that I don't want to offend her by offering a low amount. I imagine that if someone thinks their 1992 Chevy Cavalier with 150k miles on it is worth 4000 dollars and you offer them 2000, they might get rather offended and upset. I just don't want to do that to her. I'm trying to figure out a way of gently showing her the light of real used computer pricing so in the vague hopes of getting a reasonably decent deal.

Oh well, there is always craigslist.

11. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

Is your co-worker that thin skinned that she'll be offended if you say she's charging too much and show her evidence to back it up?

Just tell her you're more interested in the refurbished 21.5" i5 for $1019 on Apple's site, and think that it's a better value. It's only $100 more than what she wants.

12. bobotech thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't know her very well at all. I was installing their new iMacs in their web design dept and putting more memory into them when she mentioned to me that she had one. So its not like am on first name basis with her. I never met her before that.

13. HauntSlider macrumors newbie

Not to mention that one comes with a warranty. :)