Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I'm thinking about upgrading but don't want my current setup to end up in the corner. It's a 2012 Mac Mini (2.3 GHz i7) with 16 GB RAM. I have it connected to a Thunderbolt Display. A friend might be interested in the display. I've never sold a computer so I'm looking for a starting point for each of these that is fair for myself and the potential buyer.

Thanks!

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
You've got yourself a gem with that Mini.. You honestly can probably get almost all of what you paid for it originally on ebay. For a friend? I would price at 6-650, for the public? $750+. For the Thunderbolt, Id say about the same. Refurb thunderbolt displays typically hover around $800 with warranty.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I haven't followed the Minis after I bought it. Do they all hold their value or is this one special? Also, would you sell all of this for a 5K iMac?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I haven't followed the Minis after I bought it. Do they all hold their value or is this one special?

In general, all Minis do hold their value quite well, as they are (a) solidly built and (b) are the least-expensive way to gain access to OS X, and are therefore highly sought after.

But yes, the 2012 Mini is in fact special, because Apple has only updated the Mini line once since then (in 2014), and that update had several downsides -- it eliminated the quad-core CPU option, it made the internal drives much harder to access (going so far as using security screws to hold them in place), and it literally soldered the RAM down onto the motherboard, so that it can never be upgraded. The only significant improvement in the 2014 Minis is in the graphics capability, and even that improvement is fairly minor.

So yeah, many folks actually see the 2012 Mini as superior to the 2014 Mini, and thus the market in 2012 Minis is still quite brisk today.

Also, would you sell all of this for a 5K iMac?

If you really need an all-in-one computer, I suppose. :) I'm not a fan of the iMacs myself, as they are just awfully expensive, and if I'm going to buy a big, expensive monitor, I'm going to want to share it with all my computing devices, not have it attached to just one of them...

Reactions: t0mat0

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
At some point the thunderbolt display will get updated - a guess would be around WWDC, if when new Mac Pros come out.
So if someone interested, it's worth selling.
If your computer is static - which it likely is if attached to the screen, then the iMac would be a great upgrade - it's worth trying one out - the resolution and size are great. (I was impressed when i saw what my iPhone 6s video looked like full size on a decent retina screen vs old laptop/1440p QHD screen).
The mac mini 2012 is a decent machine - and as mentioned by jpietrzak8 - upgradeable, it will hold price till the next one comes out.
Note that the 27" iMac i think can have user replaceable RAM, but the 21" doesn't/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Thunderbolt display is now 'way outdated (USB2 ports?), but still sells to those who (for some reason) -must- have an Apple-labeled display to go with their Mac.

A quick look on ebay sees them listed in the $500-600 range. Whether those numbers represent actual -selling- prices, can't say (I didn't look at closed sales).

If your friend wants the display, I'd say $450-500 would be a good price (remember, he's your friend, right?).

For the Mini itself, perhaps $500-550?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
So I can probably get about $1K for everything. That's not bad! It will take some of the sting out of the price of the iMac. I think I'll be checking them out the next time I'm in an Apple store.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
That will sell quick in MA for that price (if you don't end up selling to your friend). I've sold many-a-macs on the Boston CL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.