Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Hey.

My parents have a 2nd Gen Apple TV (the first little black box), the one that can be jailbroken.

I'm thinking of selling it and putting the money toward an ATV4 for them. How much is the 2nd gen generally worth these days (in GBP)? I've seen quite a range of prices on eBay.

Thanks very much lovely people.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I sold mine (5.2 with the Firecore jailbreak) about 6 months ago for about £80 on eBay. Now the aTV4 is out and you can get a aTV3 for £60, I think you'd be lucky to get anything over £60. The days when these were selling for twice the price of a aTV3 have long gone!

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
I sold mine (5.2 with the Firecore jailbreak) about 6 months ago for about £80 on eBay. Now the aTV4 is out and you can get a aTV3 for £60, I think you'd be lucky to get anything over £60. The days when these were selling for twice the price of a aTV3 have long gone!

Cool. Thanks :)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I would guess that the premium for a jailbreakable ATV has diminished greatly since the launch of the ATV4. Because there are now official app store apps for Plex, etc. which were the main apps that people wanted to jailbreak to install. Why use jailbroken old technology when you can get an up to date ATV and install apps?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I would guess that the premium for a jailbreakable ATV has diminished greatly since the launch of the ATV4. Because there are now official app store apps for Plex, etc. which were the main apps that people wanted to jailbreak to install. Why use jailbroken old technology when you can get an up to date ATV and install apps?

Yeah, I still have an ATV2 that I jailbroke so I could run KODI and PleXBMC. Works OK but it is a bit twitchy and I also don't get to have the latest Netflix and lost the ability to airplay from iOS9. KODI is no longer developed for the ATV2 hardware and there isn't all that much else of interest.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Your best bet is to look in ebay and craigslist and see what people are selling your model for. Honestly I don't think it's worth much at all at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.