How much is Apple ripping us off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wankey, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wankey macrumors 6502a

Here's how much:

For FIFTY bucks less:

HP HDX18t Series
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor Q9000 (2.00Ghz)
    4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
    1TB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (500GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
    18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
    Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Full Size Backlit Keyboard
    Total: $1,949.99

Now for the Macbook:
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
    15.4-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen
    1440 x 900 pixels
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Mac OS X Leopard
    Wireless N
    Illuminated keyboard
    Total: $1,999.00

For fifty bucks less you get a RAID 0 config with 1TB, that's QUADRUPLE the storage space, you get 1.5x the ram, double the number of cores, quadruple the video memory, 1080p resolution, 3 extra inchs on the screen, Blu-ray drive, Fingerprint reader. For fifty bucks more, they don't get any of that, you get a 9600m gt, a smaller resolution, and the great Apple unibody design that cuts wrists. Woooo go Apple!

Why Apple? Why? You obviously are ripping off your user base. No matter how much better your software is, I don't see how you can sleep at night ripping us off. No matter how many people blindly love you. How can you justify these kinds of prices? We're bring from the same grocery store but Apple fruits are much much more expensive than PC fruits. They may be more plumpy or waxed to a shine, but you're still eating from the same fruit. And if you install Windows on the waxed ones, you're pretty much a fool aren't you then.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is old news and comparisons like this get posted every week

Bottom line... if you want a PC, buy one
    If you want a Mac... buy one

OSX alone is reason enough for me to buy the Mac

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

its about build quality , its about a stable os, that hp is just another laptop that will have a bad power jack and SHARED video.

and i noticed nothing about battery....prob because that will only last 10 mins...wow great portable device.

JUNK

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

+1

Plus, I think you forgot to factor in the price of the hand truck required to tote that 9 pound behemoth around!:eek:

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i love your fact based post:rolleyes:

oh wait, its just your feelings on the matter so they really dont have any weight at all now do they?

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

There will always be the endless points pro and con. We all make our our decisions and choices.

8. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are blatantly ripping you off though. It's not just specs and numbers, it's not like they can't easily put in a 500gig harddrive, or add in 4 gigs of memory. They are literally under 100 bucks difference between 2 gigs and 4 gigs or 250 and 500.

I don't understand why the discrepancy is SO huge, rather than just being a margin.

I have absolutely no way to even compare my laptop to others... they vastly outrank me everywhere. OS X isn't THAT great, and productivity wise you must be either stupid or retarded to be not be able to do the same on Windows.

Yeah sure Apple is about prestige computing but the difference between a stupid PC and mine is simply retarded.

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

actually its fact based, except the whole 10 mins thing which is exaggeration

i work on hp laptops all day long and, also acers...all CRAP

too much points of failure, even though apples build quality has gone down a bit it is still far above hp's or even sony's

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OS X.

Now shut up about your worthless, meaningless hardware to hardware comparisons, please. :D

And? People pay it. Go to a car forum and complain that people buy BMWs when they could have a perfectly good Ford.

Final Cut Studio. Logic Studio. Shake. OpenGL, multithreaded CS5.

So buy one or shut up, really. Either be happy with your Mac or be happy with your PC. We really don't care about the hardware discrepancies.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no it wasnt fact based. its your feeling about pcs. for instance, i too work on windows all day at work and i never have stability issues

reread your post

the ONLY reason i get macs is osx. not for the hardware

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So I'm either stupid or retarded because I can't use Final Cut Pro on Windows? How does that even make sense?

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If it's not just specs and numbers for you, don't rattle off a bunch more. There are qualitative factors to consider and those are harder to quantify.

14. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Fact is that both sides have their pros and cons.

Is Apple overpriced, absolutely...can they get away with it, absolutely....does that piss us off, absolutely...do we still have apple computers, absolutely!

15. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

by "hard to quantify" do you mean you can't think of many?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, he means that you have no idea what the word qualitative means.

17. Shiner macrumors 6502

I just have to ask why do you work on HP laptops all day long? why are they crap?

18. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

software in iLife is at least $300 if you'd buy it separately you might wanna figure all that stuff into your cost.
    don't buy a mac if you think your getting ripped off. the extra price is worth it to not have to run windows.

19. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

HP laptops aren't crap. But they do use a OS that many of us don't like, they are heavier, they use cheapter products to create, they are larger.

Nothing wrong with HP...but its OS and outparts (case, screen, etc) aren't nearly as nice as Apple

20. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

SERVICE them

21. vote4anh macrumors newbie

22. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, BMW vs a perfectly good Ford. haha! NOBODY on a car forum talks about aesthetics when you're comparing cars. Go there and say your 250HP ford is better than a 500 HP BMW M5 because it "looks better" and has a better feeling steering wheel. Lets see how much you get ripped apart.

Premier Pro, Soundtrack Pro, After Effects, Open GL, CS5????? how about 64-bit CS4, instead of waiting and doing NOTHING. Premier Pro is just as good, if not better than Final Cut, Open GL runs better on Windows, CS5 isn't out mind you.

I own a Macbook Pro, and I guess I have a mind of my own, rather than meaningless drivel you are saying.

Buy one of Shut up? Keep following your dictator.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple isn't ripping off anyone. If you don't like their prices, don't buy from them. If you can't afford their products, get a job! Every company can sell what it wants, at whatever price it wants. It's up to each consumer to decide what they value and what they're willing to pay. Grow up and learn how the real world operates.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well Apple is actually trying to run on cash, which is more expensive than a company with a huge debt load like HP.

40B cash versus 20B in debt.

When you run on debt and have that mentality, a thin margin to boost revenue is a cost of doing business.

---

So yes, Apple is ripping off the buyers by operating a healthier company that doesn't follow the Jone's model of do or die. And chasing every piece of tail and their mother for a slice of the pie.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Either accept that you get "worse" hardware with a Mac or don't complain and buy a PC. No one is stopping you. We don't really care either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.