how much is iphone 3g-s for an existing at&t customer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jun 9, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

my brother used to have an iphone 3g but he cracked the screen and tossed it long ago and has been using a blackjack with medianet for a while now.

How much is the cheapest (16gb) iphone 3g-s going to cost him?

and how about the 8gb iphone 3g?

Thanks, sorry if that's a stupid question.

i know its $399 for 16GB 3g-s for current iPhone 3G customers but he isn't one.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, he still is a "current" 3G customer because he bought the 3G less than a year ago. It's not AT&T's fault that he broke the phone, they're not going to subsidize another phone just because he broke the first. He'll be eligible for the $199 price on the 16GB 3Gs once he hits 18 months from the date he originally purchased the 3G. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're actually using a 3G, it has to do with the last time AT&T subsidized a phone for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As rogersmj stated just because he's not using an iphone doesn't impact his rebate price. He's considered a 3g owner and thus on the hook for the 399 price

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it actually official that AT&T won't allow an early upgrade?

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

If its an early upgrade you will find yourself paying twice the price as most others have... unless your account is the primary account on the family plan, which means it should be able to be upgraded after 12 months. Login to your account on AT&T and check your upgrade status.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I don't think so. On my account it says that I'm eligigble on 7/30/09, which is only a few days past 12 months.

7. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Did you ever send your iPhone in for a replacement or repair? That changes the date you got the iPhone in their system I think.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have but I don't think that makes the difference. Apple is responsible for "fixing" hardware issues with iPhones but that shouldn't affect AT&T's subsidies.

I am on a family plan but not the primary phone. I am an authorized user so perhaps they consider my phone a primary as well. I've never seen any documentation stating the primary on a fam plan gets earlier upgrades than others.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I ask because without the help of the typically misinformed CSRs, I can buy 9/30/09; one year after my original 3g purchase that came with a two-year contract. So I'm thinking they'll make us wait 12 months from date of purchase then allow the upgrade and bend over for two more years.

9/30 is good for me as it allows all the goons who discover light leaks, virtual keypad colors being one shade off their friend's new 3Gs, and wonky volume buttons to get it out of their system so people like me can decide if they want to risk a slight issue that in no way affects the performance of the device itself.

AT&T will force me to not be an early adoptor. :D

10. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I didn't think there was any difference between primary and the others until yesterday. I got 3 of the iPhone 3G's on launch day and my AT&T upgrade check was telling me I could upgrade one on 7/12/09 and the others were all 3/12/10 or something... so I called AT&T and they told me that the primary account on the family plan can be extended / subsidized after 12 months but all others will be longer. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

11. crashzero macrumors member

crashzero

my question is this: i am a current AT&T customer and am eligible for an upgrade on June 12th.

i currently don't own an iPhone (i currently own a 1st gen. blackjack), and never owned one. can i purchase the 16GB iPhone 3GS at $199? or do i still pay the obscene amount of $399?