How much is MBP really worth now?

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
348
0
I already made a post recently about downgrading from my MBP to a MBA, but I really want to know how much it is worth.

I have a mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid SSD Drive, 512MB 9600m GT VRAMM + 256MB shared 9400m VRAM. I also will include a 34/express slot card reader, original box and CDs, with unused charger.

The MacBook itself is in great condition. Going to get the screen replaced soon because it has a bright spot on it, but other than that it's in pristine condition besides a minor dent on the bottom case.

How much should I look to sell this for? I try to stay off eBay for large sales, because I'm worried that I won't get my money's worth due to fees and such. I'd rather sell it on Craigslist since I can do it locally and usually at a higher price.

I don't want to undercut or overprice myself either. I want to get a good deal on selling this great machine.

Also should I sell now, before the imminent MacBook line refresh or after because I'm worried that the value will depreciate even more if I wait.

THANKS!
 

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
5,497
108
Green and pleasant land
You may not want to sell on eBay - but there's nothing stopping you from searching eBay for machines with similar spec and seeing what they're selling or have sold for.

The value is whatever people are willing to pay for it!
 

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
348
0
I received it as an Apple Customer Replacement Unit (CRU) from my old 15" 2007 MBP, which had so many problems that Apple upgraded me to the mid-2009 17" MBP for free! At the time it was worth $2500 retail. I have since upgraded the ram to 8GB from 4GB and the HDD to a hybrid moments xt 500GB drive.

I also already put this on CL, looking to stir interest.
Someone offered me a new base 11" MBA ($999) + $450 in cash. Is that a good deal? I don't want the 11" MBA, but I'm sure I could sell it between $900-999, since its current gen and only 2 weeks old.
 

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
102
0
Search eBay for COMPS, I wouldn't take the base MBA you be left disappointed. Note though that ignorant buyers are more concerned about age and damage/wear than upgrades and specs.
 

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
348
0
Search eBay for COMPS, I wouldn't take the base MBA you be left disappointed. Note though that ignorant buyers are more concerned about age and damage/wear than upgrades and specs.
Thanks. Do you think it's too much to ask for $1500-1600 for this machine? Or am I selling myself too high or too short.
 

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
348
0
Considering most people on the marketplace here can only sell the older 15" and 17"S for 11-1200 I'd say you could probably get $1350 or so on craigslist.
Would a current gen 11" base MBA as a stated + $450 be a worthy trade? I don't plan on keeping the 11" MBA, but reselling it again. That would give me $1300-1400. Someone in my area is selling a Base 13" MBA for $1050, which looks like a solid deal as well.

Should I sell it now or wait until next the MacBook refresh. I'm worried that this will depreciate more in value or will a newer product depreciate more?

Will selling a current 13" MBA when a refresh comes lose more value or be the same as selling a mid-2009 17" MBP at that same time.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.