How much is MBP repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Evgenij, May 11, 2009.

1. Evgenij macrumors newbie

Hello.

It appears that my MBP has an issue with the graphics card (128MB Radeon x1600). It will not boot unless I remove the ATI drivers manually from Safe boot. However, because of that that my applications that require Quarts Extreme (iMovie etc) do not work anymore.

I did clean reinstall etc. It is not going anywhere.

How much would it cost aproximately to repair this issue? I cannot get Applecare since this laptop is from 2006. I am not sure if it is the graphics card, the screen or the drivers that cause this mess.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If the graphics card has failed, and the computer is out of warranty, it'll be around US$900.

3. Evgenij thread starter macrumors newbie

$900? :( I have no where near enough. Thanks for the reply.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's probably worth going into the store anyway and seeing what they say. That $900 is for the whole logic board, which the GPU is soldered on.

5. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, if you live near an Apple Store, that's a definite must.

Evgenij, even though your MBP is out of warranty, it doesn't cost anything to take it into an Apple Store and have the Genius Bar diagnose the issue. Just remember to schedule a free appt. for the bar online before you go in (as they're usually swamped).

7. Evgenij thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for replies.
    I'll have to find a time to go visit my local Apple store in Indianapolis.
    And now to add insult to injury - my Superdrive won't burn disks anymore. It says something is wrong with the laser.

Oh well. Again, thank you.

8. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

You can get a brand new logic board from eBay for about $400 tested, and much less if you're willing to risk buying an untested board. I've actually taken apart my entire Macbook Pro and rebuilt it from the logic board up. It took about 4 hours and I had some screws leftover when I was finished, but it still works.

9. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem with Superdrive, something like it cant get the right power level or something? Turned out it was the CD that had just grown a little too old. Try a new CD?

10. Decmando macrumors newbie

I'm unsure if its possible

Hi,

My harddrive has died in my mac book pro, and needs sorting out. I wanna get it fixed butits going to cost way too much. if i get the apple care warranty for it, how long will i have to wait before i'd be allowed to send it in to get fixed. dare I ask.

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

If your MBP is under 12 months it is covered under Apple's warranty. If it has been more than 12 months since you bought it you can NOT purchase Apple Care now - that extended coverage must be purchased while your MBP is still w/i its first 12 months of ownership.

Replacing the hard drive would cost less than Apple Care.