How much is my 17" Macbook Pro worth now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mechatron2300, Dec 26, 2012.

  1. mechatron2300 macrumors newbie

    Dec 26, 2012
    So I have a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro that I'm considering selling and going with a desktop soon. Does anybody know what they're worth nowadays?

    Here are my specs (I've taken out the optical drive and replaced it with another Hard Drive, although I have an external case for my old optical drive to use via USB):

    Screen: 17" "High Resolution" Matte Screen
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB (2X8gb) 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
    HDD: 7200 RPM 750GB Hitachi (from Apple)
    SSD: 256GB Crucial m4 SATA3

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  2. akdj macrumors 65816


    Mar 10, 2008
    eBay is the only way to really know what it's actual 'worth' is.

    Check your model and click "completed listings"

    Not sure how much extra credit you're going to get with the SSD. The right buyer comes along, that'll help. Unfortunately, right now--the refurbs are popping up @ for $3-$450 off. I sold an early 2011 17" stock machine last week for $1850 locally and thought it was a good I've used mine 12 hours/day, 4-5 days a week in our business---I more than made up for the $550 loss I took (I got mine with the business discount through Apple).

    You've got a bad ass rig there---why are you selling?

    I replaced mine with a rMBP 15"---but I held on to my 'late' 2011 17" 2.4/750/256 Sam 830 SSD, similar to yours...but only 8GB RAM

    Good luck---Craigslist is a good way to go if you're in an active market---or close enough to a major metro area...just be safe with where/how and who you meet. I've always had excellent luck with CL---public meeting/cash transaction

  3. krravi macrumors 65816

    Nov 30, 2010
    There would be a lot of people who exclusively need that BIG screen. So price conservatively and see if there are any takers.

    17" is not for everybody, but there are folks who want nothing but that.
  4. mechatron2300 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 26, 2012
    I'm considering selling it because I'm starting to really feel having a mobile graphics card and while 4 cores at 2.5 is nice. I'm starting to need more than just 4 cores (even including the 8 total cores, including the virtual ones).

    I love this computer, it's by no means slow, I'm just not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep using a laptop versus a beefy desktop computer. When it comes to what I'm charging clients, time is literally money.
  5. akdj macrumors 65816


    Mar 10, 2008
    I hear ya--we rely on our Macs to pay the mortgage as well

    That said, you've got a helluva machine there---as quick as the '08 Mac Pro lines and darn near as fast as the Nahalem '09 Pros--as well, you've put the SSD in there, increased your RAM and have four of the fastest mobile SandyBridge quad core processors in there...a fine GPU to boot. I'm not sure you're going to save a lot of 'time'--whether it's rendering video or designing in AutoCAD with the latest mobile/laptop offerings.

    What is it that you're using your MBP for? If you look into the iMacs, their i7 offerings are pretty robust...but you may be the perfect candidate to 'wait out' Apple's 2013 Mac Pro model or replacement to---as Cook alluded to earlier this year. Is there a bottleneck in your current system? You could take advantage of the TB port or you PCMCIA slot to speed up your scratch disks if it's photo/video/audio work you're doing....if you're a working pro, making money on your Mac...IMO, that's exactly who the current TB peripherals are being targeted at.

    You've got a killer rig there---and if indeed it is the final 17" offering from Apple, I think it will retain it's value higher and longer than other 2011 models.

    For now, to help out--you could augment your laptop with a nicely spec'ed Mini...until you know what 2012 holds...

  6. vpro macrumors 65816


    Jun 8, 2012

    Depends on what people are willing to fork out. There are many 17" MBPs on ebay with similar or better specs that have been there for over a year now struggling big tie - to sell at 2700 + USD or £ even!

    Personally, if it is new I'll pay full price for it if I really wanted it, but it is already way last year technology so I'll talk the price down to 1500 - 2000 depending on how badly the seller wants the cash at the point too.

    I say to those who have upgraded their machines and want to make an investment, I won't be likely to pay the asking price, I would ask that they remove the upgrades and sell at 1200 if still in pristine condition, if new - upgraded and in an unopened box, then no more than 2000.

    I drive a hard bargain but then again I KNOW what I will be using this awesome tool for, it helps to know why you would buy this beast, it helps to know who you are selling to as well.

    Best !

Share This Page