Price Advice How much is my 2008 Aluminium MacBook worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smwatson, Sep 12, 2012.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Hi guys,

I have a late-2008 Aluminium MacBook (before they became the Pro) 13". It has the 2.4GhZ processor, 4GB of RAM and a 320GB HD.

The case has some scratches on it, the lid has a small dent, and the edge of the bottom half of the laptop (where the keyboard is) has worn away to expose the darker aluminium beneath the shiny finish. The trackpad also no longer clicks (tap to click, gestures etc all work fine). The battery is warped, doesn't hold any charge, and prevents the case closing correctly. One of the four black rubber circles on the base is missing. All in all - well used!

I'm debating whether to sell it in its current condition, or strip it for parts and sell those. Or convert the internal HD to an external HD for a future laptop, and sell the remaining shell.

Any ideas?

2. AppleStrudel macrumors newbie

AppleStrudel

This could be handy, if you haven't consulted it yet.

They also suggest (scroll down) an estimated current retail price.

Hope this helps. Success!

AppleStrudel

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Well average price for completed and current eBay listings looks to be in the £400-550 price range. Given the (largely cosmetic) damage to my machine I'd put it probably at the very bottom of that range. Together with the broken battery it's probably a £350 machine tops. If I then remove the hard drive I'm looking at what, £250-300?

5. p3gamer macrumors newbie

Have you tried Gazelle?

I had a 2008 MacBook 13" (unibody) (4GB RAM) just like yours but with 250 GB and got $291 on Gazelle (sent in recently). It works, has some scratches, the battery is a little warped which also pushed into the trackpad (making it stiff and less usable). At the time, when I looked on eBay I wasn't seeing that much of a difference based on others at that price. (include eBay fees, etc.)

6. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

US only unfortunately! I'd love a UK equivalent though..