How much is my iMac worth & where to sell

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Htin, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Htin macrumors regular

Htin

Dear Forum,

I am hoping to sell my iMac to upgrade but not sure how much I can sell it for. Please advice.

Apple iMac 27" (Late 2012 Slim Model)
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost to 3.9GHz)
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    768GB Flash Storage (SSD)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Wireless Keyboard
    Apple Magic Mouse

Warranty till March 7, 2016 (Activated additional AppleCare)

Very new, flawless condition. Retail Box and Outer Box with padding intact.

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I can't give you an idea of price, but my question would be why so keen to upgrade? That's a kick-ass machine.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I suggest you.......

look for computers with similar specs in your Apple Store, mainly in the refurbished area. When you locate the most similar, take 25% off the price listed. And ponder how to charge for AppleCare, based in the time remaining.

If you sell through an online site, factor in shipping costs and fees. I had good experiences with eBay, but I am fine with the cut they take over the sales I made. Many people goes to CL (Craig List) o local similar sites. Word of caution there, IMHO, too many scammers and con artists.....

But even a newspaper ad or a flyer can get your computer sold......Only use caution and common sense.....;)

:):apple:

4. Htin thread starter macrumors regular

Htin

@MrGimper
    Well my girlfriend bought me the latest Time Capsule 3TB and my iMac doesnt have AC. Wanted to make use of the AC. Don't want to just buy the USB ac adaptor and wouldnt mind spending a little to get the the extra boost.

@phoenixsan
    refurbished area doesnt have my specs nor close to my specs :(

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Poke around craigslist and Ebay for a similar machine and see what it is going for.

I sold my last iMac on Craigslist. I found the average price, cut it by a couple of bucks and it was sold in less than a day. Of course you could sell it for top price, it will just take longer and you seem to get more emails from scammers than serious buyers.

6. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

For larger sized items like that, I would always go with Craigslist. No fees or shipping you have to pay for. You will have to work at it more, as people can be flaky and not respond, but you're the most likely to maximize your return that way.

Also, I would create a generic gmail account or something like that just to use for Craiglist because it is inevitable that some scammers will reply just to get your email address, but don't let that scare you off. Good luck.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Is the time capsule near the mac? Can you run an Ethernet cable. Sorry, not trying to be difficult or anything but seems a lot of upheaval when you already have a decent iMac and the new ones aren't that much better.

8. Htin thread starter macrumors regular

Htin

@troutspinner
    I am located in Singapore, I've placed an add on Craigslist but I don't its popular in Singapore. I heard EBay taxes a lot and I've not shipped anything abroad before, would hope to deal with someone locally but a system like mine doesn't come cheap and many locals wouldn't pay for such a system. niche market :(

@NCWildcat
    I've got an reply asking for best offer and and email address is it a scam? Its my first time on Craigslist.

@MrGimper
    Not near, its on the ground floor, my room is on the second floor. Its true the new ones are not a huge improvement but would be sweet if I could sell mine off and top up the difference.

9. Htin thread starter macrumors regular

Htin

the person on craigslist also confirmed his/her offer and ask for my paypal email to make payment. scam?

----------

the person on craigslist also confirmed his/her offer and ask for my paypal email to make payment. scam?

10. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

I would only accept cash. If you don't have that in your post update it to say cash only. Or, if you're willing to do the Paypal thing, only hand it over when the funds clear.

11. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

12. Htin thread starter macrumors regular

Htin

do paypal tax you like ebay?

having a hard time trying to get a local buyer.... :(

13. NeoCracer macrumors member

I would never sell that mac. The new ones aren't that much better. And yes, Time Capsule will be faster when doing a backup, but after your first backup you'll only have small amounts of data transferring to the Time Capsule.

So you'll just lose money for just very small speed bumps. I would wait a year or two before updating your 2012 mac.

14. TRAV9614, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

take it for what its worth....I think selling that machine is a bad idea. its a beast and the new ones aren't that much faster. I don't know why your imac isn't hardwired with ethernet anyway. Also with the refurb store your going to take a big hit.

16. Htin thread starter macrumors regular

Htin

Awww :(
    I guess i really should wait out for the next gen or next next gen since everyone is telling me its a waste of money... hahaha...

Its too much trouble to run Ethernet cables :( Would an AC wireless adaptor be any good?

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'm in the UK and my connection between my network switch and my broadband router is using the power line adapters. They use your mains cabling as a network. Never had a problem.

18. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you are going to see very little difference in speeds to be honest.

Plus, if you are using the time machine as a backup, it works in the background, so why does it really matter if it takes an extra 30 seconds for it to write to the TC??? It's not like you are sitting there every day waiting for it to complete so you can do something else.

I mean to each his own, but I think you are hellbent on wasting money for an improvement you are not going to notice.

I mean, 802.11n has a max theoretical speed of 600Mbps, I am highly doubting that your internet speed is above that, so if you think browsing is going to be faster with the new machine, it really isn't. Your biggest benefit would be data transfers over the network, and I just don't think the small speed bump on your TC backups is going to be worth the hundreds of dollars it's going to cost you to upgrade.

If you must do it, stay away from anyone on craigslist who wants to pay with paypal. That is a guaranteed scam. if you are having a hard time selling, try ebay, they do charge fees, but items are generally sold for higher prices on ebay because of this. You can also make the buyer pay the shipping charges.

Good luck.

19. Htin thread starter macrumors regular

Htin

thanks everyone for the advice on selling as well as tips regarding craigslist. i would now better know how to get sell things online as well.

in regards, yes it seems like i should not upgrade the imac for now and wait for the next gens.

on another note, my friend has an samsung note 2 and i'm using an iphone 5. both of us are at the same distance away from my timecapsule (2units away) he can still connect to my timecapsule and i cant even see it in the list if available wifi. *shrugs*