How much is my laptop worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vwfloydmac, Jun 14, 2012.

1. vwfloydmac macrumors newbie

I'm looking to sell my original MacBook Pro that I purchased in September 2006. It's in immaculate condition (for being almost six years old) and I've never had a problem with it. I only upgraded my machine to accomodate CS5.5.

THE SPECS
    15.4" / Intel Core Duo / 2.16 GHz / 1 processor / 2 cores / 2MB L2 Cache / 1GB memory / 667 MHz bus speed

THE SOFTWARE
    Full CS2 / Dreamweaver 8 / Flash 8 / Fireworks 8 / Microsoft Office X

I also just installed a new battery for $150.

There's a designer in my office looking to buy, so I know she's interested in the design programs. I was thinking $500?

Any input appreciated!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Search the model number in at eBay and then go to the left side, scroll down and select completed listings. You can then view recently sold models like yours and see how much they're going for.

3. vwfloydmac, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

vwfloydmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, mohsy90!

I have actually checked on eBay but none seem to include any of the software I've listed. I feel like all those design programs add value, no? I'm just trying to figure out how much I should ask her for on top of the average on eBay for the machine. Any ideas?

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

As for software, you either include all the original boxes / license keys (i.e. you have no intent to use them on a future machine - you will buy all new software) or it's pirating. I'm not trying to be "the law" as much as I am trying to show you why they don't add much value.

If the software doesn't come 100% legally with the machine, i.e. if the machine's hard drive dies, the new buyer can't legally reinstall all the software, then it doesn't add much value. A person could just go to a bittorrent site or something like that and grab all those files.

Now... if you are giving away legal copies of that software w/ all the license keys and everything, then YES - it absolutely would increase the value somewhat.

5. vwfloydmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! I do, actually, have all original discs and documentation.

My coworker has agreed to $400 for the whole shabang but has asked if the computer would be able to support an updated version of CS in the future. The only reason I got a new computer was b/c I wanted to run CS5.5 and I didn't think my original MacBook could handle it. My guestimate to her was that she could go as high up as CS4 but I wasn't sure about more - anyone have any insight?

Thanks so much, again.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Hurry and sell it. The statistics of the number of MacBooks and MacBook Pro's currently on sale via eBay, Craigslist, and other places is staggering. Over 15,000.

Many people are reacting to the WWDC announcements and buying new units now. I read an article about it yesterday and was truly surprised at the numbers for sale. I don't remember it ever being this many.