Price Advice How much is my MBP worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011

Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Currently, I have a 11" MBA, and 15" MBP. I'm not sure if I like having both. I definitely like having the 11" to carry around, and it has plenty of power for what I need. I would either consider getting an external display (is the thunderbolt one good?) or just living with the 11" MBA for a while.

The specs on my MBP are:

15" early 2011 MBP
    2.0 Ghz quad-core i7
    8GB RAM
    256 GB SSD
    Near perfect condition aesthetically, and only 34 battery cycles of use.

I also have the original 500GB HDD, that I could put back in and sell the SSD separately. What are your thoughts on how I should (to get the best return value), or even if I should sell my MBP?

If I sell it do I keep the 11" Air without a display or do I pick up a display too?

I am a college student living in the dorms for the next year and a half so the display might be a little too big for my liking in the dorms for a year and a half...

Thoughts and advice are appreciated. Thanks!

2. DryEyez macrumors 6502

For me 13" is perfect, 11" might be a little small as the only computer and I personally just don't like using external displays. However, depending on your circumstances, I would sell the MBP if it is sufficient to your needs and get the 11" instead.

3. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I would look at current refurb prices for a similarly spec'd machine and minus 20% to get the value.

4. Epic Xbox Revie, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I actually ALREADY have the 11". And I find myself using it more during class and leaving the MBP in my room. But when I am in my room, I definitely use the 15". So I am torn between keeping both, or getting rid of one, and/or possibly getting a display. hmmm...

I only see a 4GB, 500GB HDD refurb... adding $50 for the 8GB, and $375 for the SSD is approximately $1500 (not including tax). Would you agree?

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If it were me, I'd probably sell the 11" Air and use the 15". The 15" has the advantage of likely lasting longer - the Air being limited to a maximum of 4 GB RAM is an instant disqualifier for me. And I don't know how people can work on an 11" screen.

Sure, you could use an external display with it, but that's a bit cumbersome.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

dont forget that $1500(approx) refurb gets you a 1 year warranty from apple, how much warranty is left on your machine

7. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I really love using the small computer for in my classes. (I use it in 3/4 of my classes) and can always carry it around because it doesn't weigh anything in comparison... I'm not sure if I can use it ALL the time, and if I can get a decent deal on my MBP. I'm also not sure if I'd like another display, I've never used a setup like that.

7 months left.

8. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

9. shaun319 macrumors member

My ideal setup would be a 13 inch macbook air with 4 gb ram and a 27 inch thunderbolt display which can be used for as dock for the MBA. The AIR provides portability which is important for a college student and the display is great for when you are working in your dorm room (its almost like having a desktop setup).

With regards to pricing your MBP, I like the advice of a previous poster, look up a similar spec refurbished macbook pro on the apple site and subtract 20%. I imagine your MBP is still under warranty. Do you have applecare because that would also help with the sale?

10. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

No AppleCare, still eligible to buy it though..

11. dkersten macrumors 6502a

If you're going to spend $1000 on a monitor (if you go that route) why not just spend the extra $200 on the base model iMac at $1199, or even $1699 (maybe a little much) for the 27 inch. This way you get two computers again and have a workhorse and a portable. Just a suggestion

12. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

My opinion would be to sell the 15" MBP and get an external display. Having two computers (at least for me) would be confusing, in terms of what files are where, etc. so having one computer (the 11" MBA) makes things simple, and having the external display makes it extremely easy to have a larger work surface when needed. I have a 13" MBP and I have a 19" external monitor (not a huge screen, but it really makes a difference) and I'm very satisfied.

13. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I think I am going along this path.... if only I could sell my MBP at a reasonable price.....

14. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Why is it so difficult to sell this MBP?

Is 1700 a reasonable price to be asking for?

In 1275 too low of an offer for everything EXCEPT the SSD? i.e. replacing the normal hard drive.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you can get $1275 cash for it, take it and run. Refurbs are $1359, and few people are going to even know what a SSD is. So yeah, $1700 is way too high.

You can sell the SSD separately.

And it helps if you have the box, restore discs, etc.

16. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I sold the SSD seperately, haven't heard from the guy who offered 1275.... :\ You think 1275 is reasonable?

17. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes, because you can buy a brand new refurb with full one year warranty for $1359 (and yes, I know yours has 8 GB RAM - which would cost $30-35 if you look around and have some patience).

As the saying goes, cash talks - if the guy who offered $1275 shows up with cash, take it.

18. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Ok thanks. I'll have my auction restart at 1200 and see where it goes.