Price Advice How much is my mid-2012 MBA worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ibamac, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Ibamac macrumors member

Hi,

I have a mid-2012 MBA 11" with i7 processor, 8gb RAM and 256 hard drive (and apple care). I am planning on buying my son a Surface Pro 3 for school (he needs the pen) and they currently have a trade-in promotion for MBA's - up to $650 to be applied to Surface purchase. If the trade-in is decent, I plan to trade in my MBA and then buy the 2014 MBA (for battery life - 2.5 hours battery life is much too short for my needs). My MBA is in great shape, but I don't know what it's worth and would like to have that info before I go to the Microsoft Store (and then head across the mall to the apple store).

Thanks for the help!

2. Phyco126 macrumors member

The other week I was looking for a mid-2012 11" MBA 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, and 64 MB SSD. $560 was around the average price for those. I think you can do better than $650 - just gotta see if anyone is willing to pay more when not much more than that can get them the newest one.

3. Ibamac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

Thank you. This is helpful. I imagine the $650 is for a new(ish) 13", but at least I have some idea. I've never sold a computer before, so I don't know how to go about it. If the Microsoft store offer was decent, it would be easier. Doubt it will be comparable, but we'll see. Thanks!

4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I would think you might be about to get more than $650 (and I bet they would find some reason not to give you the full $650 if you did the trade-in) since Mac computers still hold their value quite well and it's a fairly new model with upgrades.

5. Ibamac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I think I'll hold onto my MBA for a while longer and see what the new ones are like in October. Doing less travel anyway. Thanks for the helpful responses. (And I imagine the $650 max would be for a 13" MBA, not the 11.)