Price Advice How much is this Mac Pro worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by polyethyleneguy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. polyethyleneguy macrumors member

I'm needing to move to a portable solution for video editing. My current rig needs to be sold. It's a 2009 Mac Pro with lots of upgrades:
    6-core 3.33GHz Xeon
    24GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 570 with 2.5GB (EVGA)
    All 4 bays are filled:
    1) 128GB Crucial M4 (boot drive)
    2) 256GB Crucial M4 (raid 0)
    3) 256GB Crucial M4 (raid 0)
    4) 1TB WD Black
    Blu-ray burner
    Two ESATA cards

What would be a fair price to sell this setup?
    Ebay is getting to sketchy. Other than Craigslist, does anyone have a suggestion on where to post it for sale that's safe and reliable?

Cheers :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. destiny909090 macrumors newbie

How much is this Mac Pro worth?

ebay is the best place for good resale
    But paypal and ebay charges are like heck :eek:

4. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Or you can try amazon, their fees are a bit lower when you take paypal into account. For the price worth, there are many sites out there that would give you a rough estimate once you fill in some information.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It'll be more work, but I would really recommend parting out the SSD's and the Nvidia 570. I don't think you will get back their value if you sell them in the machine (Boot SSD maybe, but not the additional Data SSD's).

6. polyethyleneguy thread starter macrumors member

I thought I remembered there being a forum section here on Macrumors where you could list your Mac for sale. Is that still around? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. :confused:

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you have enough posts there's a marketplace.

Someone already mentioned it, but parts of this may not add much to the system value. The problem with non-standard upgrades is that they may or may not be needed by the buyer. If you're willing to be patient in selling it, you might still find the right buyer. Otherwise you could split it up.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides