How much is this repair going to cost me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S600MBUSA, Aug 5, 2008.

1. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

Some of you will probably roll your eyes at this sort of obsessive attention to detail, but I think others might understand :D.

Unfortunately it appears that my Incase hardshell damaged my Macbook Pro. Somehow I think it warped and cracked the plastic that is attached to the bottom casing at the vent outlet. It's not a huge deal, but it bothers me a bit. I'm willing to spend a certain amount of money, but I realize this won't be cheap since I'm assuming this will mean a replacement of the bottom case, which is pretty labor intensive.

Can anyone give me an estimate on what you think I'd be charged by an Apple authorized service company or the Apple store itself? I see that DTTservice is quoting $295.00. Is that the best I can expect? I'll be checking around to see what other places are charging, but I would just like to have a rough idea.

Pictures of the damage are attached.

Attached Files:

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

To arrive at apple's fee, double what an independent shop will charge. You can recover some of that cost by insisting on the return of the original case part - you can then sell that on ebay.

3. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds in-line with what I've heard so far. Apple said it would be about $400-$500. DTTService says $295 plus shipping. I'm still waiting to hear if they will charge for labor alone provided I send a new part. Fry's claimed that they would charge a flat price of $99 if I provide the part.

I'm still going to do some more checking around, but I know I probably won't be able to get it done for less than $260-275.

What could I expect to get for the bottom case on eBay? There are a few small scratches on the front, and there's obviously the little vent damage on the back, but there are no dents. It's been kept in a hard-case the whole time I've had it.

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Are You sure the incase did that?

The only reason i am saying this is because there is only a small "lip" of the incase product that goes in that spot, and it isn't a firm hold in that particular area, just to align the case. I'd like to know how the incase could do that?

It could have been from removing the case, where a force was exerted.

PS, you could use super glue, and glue it back?

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Most people looking for parts on ebay will consider your part in good condition - they're replacing REALLY crapped up stuff and are thrilled to find the minimal amount of vent "damage" you have. Seriously, these people are the anti-anal retentive/OCDs.

Do an advanced search to see what they've been selling for. If you can't find any or enough to make a guess, check out applecomponents.com - they're usually right there with ebay BINs. Oh, and you will get the most for your part if you do a BIN - people looking for replacement parts usually don't want to hassle with an auction.

6. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

I wondered the same thing, but I know of no other way it could have occurred. This looks mostly like something that was the result of consistent applied pressure. I didn't have any trouble removing the bottom cover, so I don't think I exerted any unreasonable force there. Maybe part of the Incase lip was out of spec? :confused:

I thought about glue, but I wondered about the thermals. With the continuous heat moving through that area, would it be wise to have an oozing sticky substance?

Thanks for the help.