How much is to much Ram???

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I love my Powermac dual. It has 8 slots for ram and I was needing to know how much is suffice. I have 1.5 gig already and would like to know if it would just be overkill in adding more.
Thanks in advance........

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
mocman said:
I love my Powermac dual. It has 8 slots for ram and I was needing to know how much is suffice. I have 1.5 gig already and would like to know if it would just be overkill in adding more.
Thanks in advance........
Depends what your main use is with your PowerMac....?

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I do photoshop,graphic software and alot of other stuff. I am starting a digital memory service and will also do alot of video. This is my everyday machine and I do all that I can.
I know on windoz the cut off was a gig and the rest was just overkill. I want to know if this mac is the same.....

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
To much ram - is that possible... sorry, if I hadn't said it somebody else would :p

I'm interested in the answer though

A

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
mocman said:
I do photoshop,graphic software and alot of other stuff. I am starting a digital memory service and will also do alot of video. This is my everyday machine and I do all that I can.
Running graphic apps like Photoshop, I would say you're fine where your at. Doing video however, may require more....about 2GB ram from what I've read.

mocman said:
I know on windoz the cut off was a gig and the rest was just overkill. I want to know if this mac is the same.....
I've heard this as well. Like Photoshop only saw/used 100MB ram (at least with OS X). I made a thread on it a while ago actually. I'm sure someone with more knowledge in that area can clear that up.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
when do you have to much ram?

when you run out of slots to fit it in or you buy more ram then the computer can handle

G5 can handle 8 gigs, you bought 12 --- thats to much ram ... LOL

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
JzzTrump22 said:
Don't bother upgrading unless you get into serious movie/photo editing.
ya ... i could see myself having dual 30" screens, 8 Gigs of Ram, terabytes upon terabytes of hard drive space, and still run out of screen realesate and resources ... meh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.