How much is TOO much? (N*tSha*e)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Biscotti, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Biscotti macrumors regular

haha so I'm in a location for the next few days where I dont have internet, so I was going to use NetShare, but I'm not sure how much cellular bandwidth to use. Im at 230 MB since the 1st of October. (I reset on the first of the month).

anyone think i can watch Hulu.com videos?
    what's the most MB/GB that an iphone user has had in a month?

I'm using NS now, its awesome! thanks for any replies.

2. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Well...you should be able to use as much data as you want since your iPhone has an "unlimited" data plan from AT&T.

(Disclaimer: AT&T's "unlimited" data plan is, in fact, total bull **** and has a 5GB cap, which is far from unlimited.)

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

5Gb max per month. stay under 3 and I think you'll be fine

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

If you can seriously manage to use 5GB of data on an iphone each month, you need some serious help, and some time away from the phone. I'd hardly call a 5GB per month cap "total bull****" or "far from unlimited". Unlimited, no, but really?

5. calvy macrumors 65816

isn't it a soft cap? I thought you could hit the limit, get a slap on the hand, and just don't do it anymore.

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i believe that there have been some comments to this effect, yes.

7. Biscotti thread starter macrumors regular

hey thanks guys! I didnt know about the 5GB per month. I think im going to go Download a few movies :D

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

He wasn't talking about iPhone internet, but using NetShare to tether the phone to a full computer. Which in that case, you should worry more about the fact that tethering is against AT&T's terms of service than overall bandwidth. If your bandwidth usage suddenly shoots up above like 1GB in a week, AT&T could start looking in their logs to see what you've been doing. Like, for example, streaming videos that aren't supported on the iPhone.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There is no cap on the iPhone data plans nor other non-tethering smartphone plans, but therein lies the rub. If you're using 250Mb in a month on average and then suddenly in one month spike to a gigabyte or more of usage, I wouldn't be surprised if that were to set off red flags that something has changed.

10. Biscotti thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I just realized that. i guess 850 MB 1 month, and 3GB another month is a huge difference. BTW I was kidding about downloading Movies. haha

When I watch shows on my iphone at www.mobileanime.com, those shows are usually between 30-50 MB per show. theoretically I could be watching a lot of anime.

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

12. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

That's what I was trying to figure out.

13. philskillz macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think I'm going to tether and sling box now.