How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SeanZy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

So to start quickly, can someone point me in the right direction as far as cheapest/ most efficient and best performing option to tether my iphone's 3G connection to my iPad? That would be a real help

Now my real question is this:

How much is too much tethering through a jail broken phone? What I mean is, when does it become in danger of getting caught

I plan on using the tether for browsing the Internet on the iPad, and downloading applications from wherever. Maybe using pandora sometimes too.

I have no intentions of downloading HD quality videos and huge files. Am I okay at this kind of usage? I figure it really equates to the same things i would be doing on my iPhone.

Help is appreciated!!

Can anyone give me a quick answer?

I'm real anxious to do this haha :p

2. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

TetherMe($1.99) and iTether($5). With TetherMe it changes your tethering settings so you can use tethering without setting it up with your carrier. iTether allows you to tether your iPhone's 3G to iPad via Bluetooth. Cheaper and maybe even better alternative than MyWi(which is $20)

As far as I know, you can tether all you want if you have the unlimited plan. No one has yet to report being caught.

3. elwood2 macrumors member

Try MyWi or TetherMe. I would keep it under 5GB's if you're on an unlimited plan.

4. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you guys agree that if I just web browse and download apps and what not like i would on my iPhone, I should ne fine?

Oh and with those two programs do i need my ipad jail broken as well? I want to try and keep my ipad not jailbroken.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, and Yes you need to JB your iPad, if you want to keep your iPad un-JB them MyWi is your best bet, it will create a Wifi Hotspot for you and you can connect your ipad like it is any other Wifi hotspot around. (the cons: consume lot more battery, only WAP encryption is currently available so not so secure, It is a bit more expensive, it required another app in order to run [Rock] and based on some reports [not me since i haven't had any issues] support is not the fastest around to get back to you).

I had tried the iTether + TetherMe combo and it works perfect.

6. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So for sure, using tether me and itether I can tether my wifi only ipad to my iphone to use it's 3G connection ? No usb crap needed? In other words, does it basically do what mywi does and turn my iphone into a wifi hotspot?

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No, Tetherme all it does it enable your build-in tethering feature on iOS without setting up using AT&T, and iTether allow your iPad to connect to your iPhone using bluthtooth and share the 3G connection. (only 1 device at the time, no mobile hotspot)

8. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh okay.

Well that is all I really need. Don't have a laptop or anything else

You sure that is a safe method? It seems like the mywi hotspot seems less undetectable since i wouldn't actually be using a tether feature.

Haha sorry if I sound skeptical I just want to make sure :D

Oh and for sure I can use your method with a wifi only iPad?

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Nothing wrong being skeptical, i always ask and look around a lot before installing anything on my iDevice.

Define safe? you mean safe from AT&T finding out? or safe that your device won't crash, or safe that no one can steal your data?

I said that I tried the combo and it works....as far a safe ...not sure haven;t been using it for long. as far a secure connection, it is better to use Bluetooth seen MyWi only support WEP and that is easy crackable.

The chances of At&t finding out are all the same IMO.

10. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I meant safe as in AT&T figuring out. Like does one method have less of a risk than the other.

How do you like your ipad jail broken? I mean, I can still get all the normal apps from the app store no problem right? Haha its been so long since I have. Jailbroken anything.

Thanks for the help man.

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese