How much is your power bill....

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
And who do you pay every month? Do any of our European friends pay the government?

I'm just curious, as our state just deregulated power, and I'm looking at 72% increase in July (about $75.00 a month).

We have a one bedroom apartment with a den/office and it currently runs us about $100.00 a month to Baltimore Gas and Electric.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
During the summer (no A/C in the Bay Area), we pay about $60 total per month to PG&E for our 2-bedroom house...pretty close to 50/50 electric and gas.

In "winter," we've had bills over $200 just keeping the house at 65 degrees. We rent a drafty old house with lots of windows...

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
in the UK the market is totally de-regulated, mainland Europe is clinging onto state owned energy companies for dear life.

Biggest ones are E.ON, EDF, Gaz De France, Centrica, Gazprom

I actually work for the uk's largest energy company

ecche

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
Here in New Zealand we pay approx. 50 USD a month in summer and approx 150USD a month in winter. We had a ducted heatpump installed recently, which we find is the most economical and fuss-free way of heating our 3 bedroom home. Most people here still rely on woodburners...hello asthma and goodbye 'green' image, NZ!

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
So...so far, BG&E telling me I'm getting an "at market value" deal at $200.00 a month for a one bedroom spot is totally bogus so far, yeah?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
iGary said:
So...so far, BG&E telling me I'm getting an "at market value" deal at $200.00 a month for a one bedroom spot is totally bogus so far, yeah?
Well, it depends on your usage. I guess what you really need to look at is your rate.

My parents in Buffalo spend up to $400 a month to heat their house in the winter. I have friends in LA who spend $400 a month to cool their house in the summer.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
WildCowboy said:
Well, it depends on your usage. I guess what you really need to look at is your rate.

My parents in Buffalo spend up to $400 a month to heat their house in the winter. I have friends in LA who spend $400 a month to cool their house in the summer.
Well just from an averages point of view - I'mn going from an average of 100 a month to 200 a month...

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Like $60-70/month in the non-winter months, about $160/month in the winter, all electric 3Br house, no AC, electric forced air heating.

Deregulation sure is a pisser, isn't it? Supposed to cure all that ails the market, but damn near every time some industry is deregulated the corporate masters profit handsomely and the end used gets that shaft.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mactastic said:
. . .every time some industry is deregulated the corporate masters profit handsomely. . .
And sometimes they go to jail too.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mactastic said:
Like $60-70/month in the non-winter months, about $160/month in the winter, all electric 3Br house, no AC, electric forced air heating.

Deregulation sure is a pisser, isn't it? Supposed to cure all that ails the market, but damn near every time some industry is deregulated the corporate masters profit handsomely and the end used gets that shaft.
The thing that really bugs me is that there was a compromise bill passed that allows a gradual 25% increase, and you pay some interest, so I go to their site today and there is no info ANYWHERE - just a bunch of PDF's telling me why I should enjoy taking it up the ass on this one.

This company made record profits last year and is acquiring another company. Fair profits I am for - gouging?

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
garybUK said:
in the UK the market is totally de-regulated, mainland Europe is clinging onto state owned energy companies for dear life.

Biggest ones are E.ON, EDF, Gaz De France, Centrica, Gazprom

I actually work for the uk's largest energy company
We are totally de-regulated too in Sweden, so you can basically pick and choose your own provider. However, after the energy market was set "free", our energy prices has more or less gone through the roof. It is a total mess over here now. :(

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
I would say that I pay around $80/month for electricity alone (not included heating). Since I am more or less always at work and never at home it strike me as a bit expensive. In my case, the heating comes from a central heating station that produces hot water. This hotwater is then transferred through insulated waterpipes in the ground to my house.
Since I am from sweden, we really don't have that much use for AC over here...:(

L

Lau

In the UK you can choose a gas company to get your electricity from, and a electricity company to get your gas from. It's all highly complicated, you've got to be fairly on the ball to keep swapping to find a cheaper supplier, or you just give up and stick wth someone.

In our flat we're stuck with a chav-meter, where you have to put credit on a key and put that in the meter - presumably some previous tenants weren't great at paying the bill. It costs more, which is highly annoying (and surely slightly unethical in that poorer people are more likely to have a key/card meter), and has the slight disadvatage that if you forget to top it up the entire house is plunged into darkness...:eek: The gas is on a normal meter though.

I reckon we pay about £80 a quarter on gas, and about £10, maybe £15 every fortnight on electricity.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
About $50/mo for power, and as for energy, about $45/mo in the summer, $155/mo in the winter - this is for our 1800 sq ft. 2-storey 3-bedroom house with vaulted ceilings and an additional 600 sq. ft. basement which isn't the most energy efficient yet. ;) Not too bad for a climate where it can dip to -40 Celsius in the winter and hit +40 Celsius in the summer... :cool:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I'm in Maryland as well. Our 1500 sq. ft. townhouse with an add'l 750 sq. ft. finished basement runs around $120 per month. With the 72% rate hike coming, we can expect to pay an additional $85 or so per month.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Norway deregulated power prices a couple of years ago, which more or less tripled the price of electricity and doubling the electric bill for most people.

Our small house (77/95 kvm ≈ 828/1022 sqft) is only heated with electric power and our bill is about NOK 1000 ≈ $160 per month, on average, a bit more in Winter and a bit less in Summer (though not much ;)).

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
My bill just came in todays' post - what timing.

This month Alabama Power gets $104.86 from us. Last month they got $98.61, and a year ago, they got $60.54 (they print all that on the bill each month). The house is all electric, and by the end of the summer (which in Alabama can mean October), I'll probably get at least one bill for $150 if not more.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
~Shard~ said:
About $50/mo for power, and as for energy, about $45/mo in the summer, $155/mo in the winter - this is for our 1800 sq ft. 2-storey 3-bedroom house with vaulted ceilings and an additional 600 sq. ft. basement which isn't the most energy efficient yet. ;) Not too bad for a climate where it can dip to -40 Celsius in the winter and hit +40 Celsius in the summer... :cool:
Are those Canadian or US dollar figures?

My utilities are free btw (payed by owner). So is my internet.

iSaint

macrumors 603
City owned power: $60-80 US/month
Sewer: $10
Garbage: $12
Water: $25

All of the above on the same bill.

Atmos Gas: $50-60.

Gas heat, water heater, stove.

The Gas or the power will fluctuate seasonally by about $30 or more. Winters aren't very hard, maybe some 20 degree days. Late summers are in the high 90s with horrible humidity. It's nothing to have $200 in gas or power at least twice a year.

4 BR 2 Ba house. Approx 2,200 sq. ft.