how much less portable is the 17" than the 15" macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phuong, Oct 14, 2008.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

hello
    first of all i'd like to say that i am disappointed that there is no new mbp 17"

and that is the reason why i am re-considering my purchase decision: a 17" with current design or a 15" with new design.

at this point the only difference between them two, for me, is their portability. i was so 100% sure that i would get the new design 17" when it (supposed to) come out today.

as a former photographer/graphic designer, i always prefer the reasonably largest screen real-estate possible which is offered by the 15" and 17".
    Last year, the 17" didn't win because its resolution wasn't that much higher than that of the 15" while it was heavier.
    This year, the 17" has so much more resolution that it surpasses the drawback of being heavier than the 15".

However, since there is no new-design 17" today, the advantage is pulled a little towards the 15" again. and that's why i need those who have experiences with both these models to let me know what i lose if i get the 17" versus the 15" with new design? (especially concerning their portability)

I think the reason for no 17" new design is probably due to the fact that Apple are still constructing the unibody manufacturing process specifically for the 17" size. But it will be released eventually. The question is, who knows how soon because at least they want to clear out the inventory for the current design with slightly better configurations.

please don't answer me with "wait if you can, buy if you need it now" because i already know that. i don't utterly need a new computer now, but if there's no advantage of waiting (i.e., there's no new 17" design coming out in the next 3 months) then i should buy the 15" new design now.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Depends what you mean by "portable." If you mean putting in a bag and getting in the car and then taking it into you office then it's just as portable. If you mean air travel its not portable at all. You can't even open it in a coach seat.

Now as a photographer I don't know why you'd want the new 15" w/ the glossy screen. I think SJ said Apple is only going to do glass screens in the future, so if you want a 17" I'd grab one now before new ones come out or it is discontinued all together... that would be one hunk of glass to tote around.

3. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

a 17" is a NOGO for me.

I use a huge photobag to carry all my stuff around, and a 15" fits just right. a 17 would be too big even for my huge crumpler !

and try to open it in a plane or so.... the 15" is already a challenge...

4. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The 17" is enormous - thin and not too heavy, but very big.

Are you near a retail store where you can look at one? Comparing side-by-side in real life is best.

I love the idea of the 1920x1200 resolution but a 17" MBP is just too big for me to carry around. It's useless on an airplane, doesn't fit in the (large) bag I bring to school every day, and really isn't even comfortable for me to use on my lap, which I often do.

For me the 15" MBP is the biggest thing that is "portable".

5. RHD macrumors 6502

I need the big screen and I don't find carrying it about a significantly bigger issue than my previous 15", I just bought a bigger bag.
    I'm a 5'2" 97lb female.

6. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Carrying it around probably isn't a problem if you're using a dedicated bag.

If you are using e.g. a camera bag or (as I do) a messenger bag that you carry books etc. in, it may be too big.

I think the main issue for a lot of people is that you simply cannot open it on a plane in economy.

Again if at all possible I would strongly suggest that the OP go and use them side-by-side if at all possible... Not the same as using it in your daily life but at least it will give an idea of what one is like in person in comparison to the 15".

Hmm, now that's an idea, Apple should offer a (say) 24-hour "test drive" program for notebooks... That would be fun. :)

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

with my experience...i can tell you that the 17" feels ROUGHLY 2" more than the 15"...

if 2" seems harder to tote, then i suppose it wouldnt be as "portable" as one would like to state.

for me...its fine.

biggest downfall for the 17" is like everyone else is saying...finding a bag to use with it.
    my only options so far have been dedicated. none of my designer man purses allow the extra girth.

i have found the work around though. put the $3000 unit in my hands wrapped in a nice incase sleeve.

8. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Forget designer man-purses; my canvas messenger bag doesn't even fit one. ;)

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

[​IMG]

10. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess i have to make a few points more clear.

i'm a former photographer, as in "i dont shoot anymore, but some habits are still there"
    i used to use a macpro with multiple large screens at home, and a 15" for occasional use outside the home. i should add that i always prefer using desktop computers since they always provide much more screen real-estate.

since i dont shoot anymore, i sold everything and only kept the 15"
    i would take it out sometime, i.e., to the library. and by that i mean once or twice a month, for now.
    i have never taken it to work, never used it at a coffe shop or on a plane, and i don't intend to do so at anytime soon

whenever i take it out, i would put it in a shoulder bag called STM medium alley 15". if i have more stuffs to bring along, like books, i would put it in a backpack called STM large loop (the link is here http://www.stmbags.com.au/products.php?id=34&name=large_loop_17_black&category=backpacks )

i think basically what i want is something similar to a desktop, something that provides a decent amount of screen real-estate while can be conveniently moved around occasionally.

there is no apple store near my place, so there's no way i could check it out. so if someone could provide me with a photo of a 17" and 15" sandwiched together, or a photo of a 17" being used at a public place, that would be great.

when i am at the library, i often see people with large laptops; although i dont know how large these laptops are compared to the 17", but i figured if other people can live with that, maybe i could. but maybe these people are regreting everyday in their lives for getting such big laptops...

11. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I must admit that the addition resolution of the 17" model is very tempting. There's a big difference between 1920x1200 and 1440x900.

But I think the main use of the 17" MBP is as a desktop replacement.

I personally can't imagine buying such a huge notebook if it were not my primary computer.

As for the big notebooks you see in the library, they're probably 17" notebooks, and probably thicker and heavier and altogether more cumbersome than a 17" MBP.

12. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

those are precisely my points. i want to have only one computer which can replace my desktop macpro while being able to easily move it around every once in a while.

but anyway, people at macrumors are saying it will likely be updated in a few months which i can afford to. so i guess i'll defer my decision till mwsf2009

13. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Yes, if you're not in a hurry you might as well wait to see what the new design brings.

14. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

you can always do a quick google search.

i found this pic which gives a nice profile of the two back to back.
    right here...

doing photography for a past time sure makes trouble deciding on a portable.
    i would take a picture of my 17" next to my chubby rebel xt, but i dont have access to the camera as of right now.

what i can tell you is that the 2" isnt much in the weight and carrying around (unless riding coach on a plane), but you find it difficult lugging it around.

most people i see carry a 15" just because the 17" is dedicated more to the "replacement" scheme of things. my 17" does offer the 1920x1200 which helped me in deciding.

now if you can wait till mwsf, then do it. everyones hoping for the new chipset release.

but like i said...ill try and snap some public shots of my 17 for you.

15. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you so much liquid.
    i will be waiting for your photos