Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hey. I was wondering how much life my MacBook Core Duo with 2 GBs of RAM have? I was told by a guy at the apple store that Core Duo MacBooks wouldn't support some features of Leopard?

I also read that Core Duo processors support up to 3 GBs of RAM but Mac OS X only lets it use 2 GBs, just like how Core 2 Duo processors support up to 4 GBs but Mac OS X only lets it use 3.3GBs?

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
The CD MB is not 64 bit, so it won't take advantage of that in 10.5. As for processors and RAM, I believe that the CD will not support more than 2 Gbs, and I think that's because of the processor... the C2D will display 4 Gbs, but the chip set can only use 3.3 Gbs, I don't think it's software. My new MBP will support a full 4 Gbs of RAM because of the SR chip set, MBs don't have a SR chip set so they only support 3.3 Gbs. There, someone back me up on this, but according to me, that's right.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Oh. Do you think Apple will release better drivers for the GMA 950? I just want some opinions. :cool:

Better as in how? Will Leopard make use of up to 224MB of shared memory for video like XP does? Maybe. Can Apple squeeze any extra performance out of the GMA950? Don't see how.

To the OP. All PC and Apple hardware based on the Core Duo/945 (Napa) chipset can only use 2GB of RAM. I'm not sure if its a processor or chipset limitation and I am in the process of trying to find out. Core 2 Duo/Napa can use 2X2GB sticks to get 4GB of RAM, of which about 3.3GB is visible to the operating system. The rest overlaps memory addresses used by input and output devices. As to not using all the features of Leopard, 64bit is the only difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo and its more of a speed issue than anything else. At this point in time, few applications will be able to take advantage of it anyway.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
All PC and Apple hardware based on the Core Duo/945 (Napa) chipset can only use 2GB of RAM.

It was 3GB and it was a chipset limitation.
32bit os also has a similar limitation whereby some of the 4GB allowed ram is automatically allocated to other aspects of the pc reducing memory in the os (usually to about 3.25GB)

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Hey. I was wondering how much life my MacBook Core Duo with 2 GBs of RAM have? I was told by a guy at the apple store that Core Duo MacBooks wouldn't support some features of Leopard?

I also read that Core Duo processors support up to 3 GBs of RAM but Mac OS X only lets it use 2 GBs, just like how Core 2 Duo processors support up to 4 GBs but Mac OS X only lets it use 3.3GBs?

Leopard will run fully functionally on your system, the only thing you won't get to use is the 64 bit functionality of Leopard. Everything else will work properly. Apple generally ensures that their latest OS incarnation works with older hardware (to a point). I believe that Apple has indicated that Leopard will not officially be supporting the PPC G3 processor.

Sopranino

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.