How much longer will I get out of my 2006 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rqaw, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Rqaw macrumors newbie

I've had it for 3 1/2 years, and I think it is time to get a new one. My a key came off. My disc drive is broken, and the pin of my old set of headphones is stuck in the headphones jack.

So with no disc drive and no sound, I think it should be soon.

Also, I've gotten this screen about 3 times in the last year.

[​IMG]

2. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

Haha your MBP sounds like mine. I have a spare keyboard and top (mine is worn to crap) and we can replace our DVD R/W drives with the new style for $50 and I assume you have not done an OS X 10.5 upgrade, I haven't. So before you let it go, I would do those things. I tend to use my MBP in public places, where if it gets stolen, ha, no big deal... 1.83 MBP :apple:

3. Jay S. macrumors newbie

My 2006 macbook is running like a champ. I have upgraded the ram and HDD. I'm also running snow leopard 10.6.2. I think i may get 3 or 4 more year out of mine, I bet with a little TLC you could get that out of yours to.

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

+1

2006 Macbook, bought on the day they were launched. I had LOADs of problems in the first 6 months (logic board, battery, plastics, trackpad) but since then it's been good.

It's got some inverter flicker, the sleep light doesn't work and the top case is held with epoxy. So I gave it to my GF and bought a MBP. But I suspect the MB is good for another 3-4 years.

Her previous computer was a 10 (?) year old 700 MHz sunflower iMac so she's pretty happy.

5. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I have a first generation 2006 macbook that is still going strong.

Had all the early progblems with it, bad harddrive, "mooing" sounds, and etc. But after all the firmware updates it's been great for the last 4 years. I upgraded it with a 500 GB harddrive and @ Gigs of ram and its going great. I actually really want to buy a new laptop...but it just not necessary for the things I do. I'll upgrade when it dies (knock on wood) or when macbooks/macbook pros come out with something truly unbelievable.

6. chill. macrumors 6502

these are all pretty superficial problems. the a key is easily user replaceable. the disc drive is user replaceable. the pin can be taken out easily.

all 3 problems can be fixed in under an hour. you just need to put some effort into it