How Much Longer Will You Use Windows XP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tayloralmond, May 28, 2009.

1. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I was on another thread, and it seems that some people are still obsessed with Windows XP. I've moved on to Windows 7 x64 (RC1, of course) and now I don't really see much of a reason to use XP anymore (especially once Windows 7 hits stores next year) How much longer will you guys use Windows XP and why?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have 3 XP licenses at the moment. All will move to W7 next year (depending on pricing).

3. tj53 macrumors member

I'm not a heavy user of XP as it is. Just use it when necessary for a few select programs that don't work in OS X.

But I'll be sticking with it. Everything I have works with it, so I see no reason to upgrade. If it is working why risk breaking it? (Especially since it is windows and I don't want to spend any more time than necessary with it :D)

4. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah well i dont know about licenses, but i have XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, and Windows 7 installed on parallels. And XP is by far my favorite, especially with SP3

6. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I definitely see your point (at least when using Parallels). XP is lighter so it's easier to run it efficiently. As for Boot Camp, however, I just think Windows 7 is the better option (unless you have software that will not run on anything but XP)

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Haven't used any Windows since 2005.

Currently have Win 7 RC installed on bootcamp, looks good except can't get the stupid wifi to work right.

If I had to use Windows for something, I'd probably go with 7, looks better than anything else MS has put out on years. ( Of course, it reminds me a lot of OS X......;))

8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I stop and moved to Windows 7 RC 1 64-Bit when I got bored one weekend.

As for my site, I want to move to vista but 7 is around the conner. Users are going to be stupid saying Vista or 7 does not work basing that on what other people say. They will never touch a Vista or 7 machine but will talk *hit about it as if they had first hand accounts.

Im a nice IT person, I let you keep your OS you want. Just don't bitch about how certain services do not work.

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Until OS X releases of games drop to the same price as Windows releases. Then I will delete Windows XP. And never use Windows for my home machines again.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Actually, you would be surprised. Windows 7 runs just as efficiently on parallels as XP does, unlike Vista which is a complete power hog. I'm glad microsoft finally learned how to make software that efficiently uses the hardware its given.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Until it can no longer function as a usable OS. In the 8 years XP has been around, I've gotten far too used to it to use another version daily like I do XP.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm in this boat!! We have ZERO plan to goto Vista, and even 7 would take some time in a large enterprise environment I'd imagine.

13. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

As long as I occasionally need windows for work and ms supports it. I will guess that it will be at least another 6 years given the fact that they sold retail copies through 2008 and it seems to be the os for several netbooks. In fact, will vista go away before xp?

14. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

As somebody said; if something is working perfectly why fix it? I have xp in fusion and its working perfectly (i rarely use it anyway, only when compatibility issue arise). XP is light, compatible with old and new programs. Windows 7 is new and i am keen to read more reviews from mac users before considering.

And yeah, i am sure vista will disappear before XP.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I use Win XP at work (no choice, except of course when I've got my MacBook with me, which is nearly every day) - so that'll chance when/if my employer's IT people choose to change it.

As for Boot Camp on my two Macs, on the occasions I need to use it, it has Win XP installed and I suppose it'll stay that way for a while. One piece of software I need it for, a VPN client to get into the hospital's network from off-campus, doesn't work on Win 7 RC (I've tried). The VPN client works on Vista, but then Vista screws up an entirely different piece of software I need. So, the only version of Windows that works with all the software for which I need Boot Camp is Windows XP. So until that changes, it'll have to stay with XP.

16. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I have an old 1.6GHz Celeron with 768MB of RAM and Windows 7 is running very nicely on it. Apart from boot time I think its on par with and possibly better than XP.

I am thinking of installing it in Qemu on my iBook G4 just to see if it works :)

17. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I'll keep using Windows XP at work til my employer decides if/when to change to Windows 7 (we are skipping Vista).

However, for my home PCs I use Windows Vista as I never had a problem with it and like the "eye-candy" on it over XP.

I loaded Windows 7 RC1 32bit on my uMB in bootcamp and use it for games (unfortunately the gaming scene for OS X isn't as good as Windows so I'm "forced" to use windows for PC games but then again I never had a problem with Windows). Its been working fine and I even use my Windows 7 bootcamp partition virtualized in OS X via VMWare Fusion sometimes for work or just to stare at that Betta fish default Windows 7 background.

18. rumplestiltskin macrumors regular

XP in Parallels on my iMac (for the few Office 2007 tasks I need to run). My real PCs, however, are now running Ubuntu Linux.

19. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

No more for me, I've switched to Windows 7 RC1. Works great, if not better than XP IMO.