Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitaka27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
I was given a brand new 27inch iMac yesterday by an old friend. It is a iMac 1.1 with a Intel Core 15 2.66 Ghz and 4 gb of memory. I am completely new to the Mac world but know my way around Windows quite well.

I want the Mac for Photoshop and Illustrator stuff plus Web design. I am sure that I will come up with plenty more as I get used to the great machine. Well I installed the Beta of Mircrosofts new Office suite last night and got an immediate "out of memory" sign.

1. How much memory should I be looking at with these specs? Furthermore, I have too good PCs that are running Windows7 which have lots of programs which the Mac doesnt have.
2. I see that Boot Camp also allows you to install WindowsXP and Vista. What about Windows'? Is it possible to use a .vmx or .vmdk image in Boot Camp?
3. The iMac as you are probably aware has a 1TB HDD. Should I be partitioning it? And if so, then in about what proportions?

Many thanks and I am sure that I will be enjoying this forum.

Mitaka27 (Japan):)

Okay, I have just read some more and see that you can run Windows7 without any problem. And that most likely, the .vmx and .vmdk images are okay as well. I have another question while here though which I know nothing about. Is it possible to use Firewire 1394 to connect a HP running Windows7 to a iMac on 800 through a cable?

Thank you.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I was given a brand new 27inch iMac yesterday by an old friend. It is a iMac 1.1 with a Intel Core 15 2.66 Ghz and 4 gb of memory. I am completely new to the Mac world but know my way around Windows quite well.

I want the Mac for Photoshop and Illustrator stuff plus Web design. I am sure that I will come up with plenty more as I get used to the great machine. Well I installed the Beta of Mircrosofts new Office suite last night and got an immediate "out of memory" sign.

1. How much memory should I be looking at with these specs? .

4Gb is plenty, its almost certain that the "out of memory" error is a bug, you are using a Beta, betas are even more buggy than normal msft software.

Re the rest of your questions, I suggest you look in the "Windows on Mac" forum. At the top of that forum there are some "get you started" guides which will no doubt have advice about partitioning etc and if they dont you can post your questions there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.